1970 Mach Front Suspension Fender Clearances???

stangpartsman

May 19, 2006
:bang: I have just finished restoring a 70 Mach 1 with a 428CJ Automatic. I have a question concerning the tire to fender clearance. The rear of the car has lowering springs and the clearance is about an inch and a half. The front clearance between the tire and the fender is just over 3 inches. The springs that came with the project were suppsedly lowering springs. I would like to get the front and rear symetrical. Can somebody tell me if this is "normal" or if I need to get different springs? I don't have a lot of experience with this type of work. Thanks for all your help

• Sponsors (?)

You should drive the car for at least 100 miles before considering any change to the front coils. Just driving the car around the block will lower the front end a little, especially after raising the car, or one wheel.
New front coil springs need to be run in. After you put some miles on it, you can adjust the front ride height by removing 1/4 of a coil with a cut-off wheel. Remember though, if you go too much(3/4 - 1 coil) you will be sorry. Also remember that when you remove material you increase (stiffen) the spring rate.
Good Luck,
Rob