1973 302/C4 to T5

Drahthaar

Oct 15, 2021
Texas
Hello all thanks for having me. I have a 1973 vert with a 302 and C4 pretty much stock.
I would like to convert to a T5, I know there is much information out there but this question is fairly specific. Friend has a 1994 gt v6 roller with a T5. It is free to me...
Can I use this set up in my car? I know I will need some parts, can I use a bellhousing from a 83-94 5.0 to bolt to my 302. I dont think I need to be concerned with power as the 302 I have is not a powerful engine, maybe 175hp?? Its also a cruiser at this point not a racer.
Is this a viable swap or will the needed parts outweigh the free trans and I should just look for a 5.0 Fox or earlier or buy a MDL setup (Way past my budget! well at least my wife's lol)
\

Thanks
Ben

• Sponsors (?)

Hi Ben,

You technically can use that transmission, but it is not rated to hold as much torque as the Foxbody Mustang T-5 . Here is a chart with the ID numbers to help you see the differences between them.

Attachments

• T5 Identifier.gif
    T5 Identifier.gif
    56.3 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 user
Hello all thanks for having me. I have a 1973 vert with a 302 and C4 pretty much stock.
I would like to convert to a T5, I know there is much information out there but this question is fairly specific. Friend has a 1994 gt v6 roller with a T5. It is free to me...
Can I use this set up in my car? I know I will need some parts, can I use a bellhousing from a 83-94 5.0 to bolt to my 302. I dont think I need to be concerned with power as the 302 I have is not a powerful engine, maybe 175hp?? Its also a cruiser at this point not a racer.
Is this a viable swap or will the needed parts outweigh the free trans and I should just look for a 5.0 Fox or earlier or buy a MDL setup (Way past my budget! well at least my wife's lol)
\

Thanks
Ben
You will have to acquire the pedal assembly with the clutch pedal. You'll also need to modify that assembly to actuate the clutch via cable or a hydraulic system. But wait, there's more. lol

I did a conversion from a C4 to a Tremec 3550 for my 351W. It is a much bigger and stronger transmission but it required cutting my transmission tunnel to allow the larger shifter to come through. It was a lot of work and planing and a little cursing. :)

You should check out this old thread about it. They list all the needed things and potential headaches in there. https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/c4-to-t5-conversion.541459/

Question is the roller you have access to a GT or a V6 - it won't be both? If GT, use bellhousing and trans, you will not need to change input shaft/bearing retainer and it will work behind your 302. You will want a flywheel for your '73 - 28 oz, 157 tooth. The 94 flywheel will not work without rebalancing the engine.

If the roller is a V6 you can use the trans, its power capacity and gearing is the same as 89 and older V8 Mustang T5s. The V6 bellhousing will bolt up to your V8, but requires a 164 tooth flywheel for the starter to work properly.

Reactions: 1 user