1975 Mustang Ghia Fuel Sending Unit

I have a 1975 Mustang Ghia that has a 302 engine. Has anyone put in an after market fuel sending unit? I replaced my fuel tank and sending unit with a Spectra fuel tank and sending unit. The fuel gauge is the original and worked properly with my original equipment. Has anyone found their Spectra fuel sending units faulty. I don't believe mine was tested before it was installed to see if the resistant measurements were within spec.

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced my sending unit when I did my tank (it wasn't working at all) and the spectra unit was just fine. You can check its function with a multi-meter, and also check the function of your gauge by jumping its 2 wires together to see if it moves.

Thanks for the reply jozsefsz! Good...that tells me the units come "set" for the car (which it should be) and no modifications need to be made. My mechanic did not have the necessary specs to test the unit against. But, I found them in the 1975-1976 Shop Manual. There is also directions for testing the unit in the manual. Unfortunately I am not a "hands on guy", so my experience is almost zero. But I can read a tech manual. We will likely order a new sending unit. (I believe I ordered mine online from auto zone.) We will test the unit before removing the old and installing the new. Thanks for the info on testing the gage. That should be helpful, but the mechanics may know that. Anyway thanks for the reply.

As a side note....I'm a Buckeye also, from Caldwell. It is a small town between Cambridge and Marietta just off Interstate 77. That is where my Mother bought the car off the showroom floor at Caldwell Motors November 30, 1974.

Welcome fellow Buckeye! Then it's all the more amazing that you have your one-owner II still with you. I grew up with II's, my dad had 2 of them, a 76 Ghia MPG notchback and a 76 Ghia hatch. When I inherited the red MPG for high-school it had 257k miles on it (3rd 2.3L 4cyl engine) and the fenders were held on with straps as our winters completely erased the inner fenders and much of the floor. I still loved that car though and used to take it to reckless speeds (the MPG had the v8 gearing with a 4cyl engine to save gas which had the side-effect of giving it an impressive top-speed), and was sad to see it go when it finally gave up. 30 years later I found a local one for sale that someone had brought up from Florida and it renewed my fondness for the II. Little rust, but absolutely everything was worn out mechanically. I fixed it up with the plans to take my dad for a nostalgia ride, and while he was able to come over to see it, sadly he passed away before we could take it out. It still reminds me of him though. :)

During my restoration project, the fuel pickup / sending unit was one of the very few "no-brainers" that just dropped in and worked. Everything else required adjustment, fabrication, a little grinding, a little welding, you know the drill having had one in the family for nearly 45 years. I wish the same for you!.