Drivetrain 1978 Cobra Anyone Ever Install Performance Automatic Valve Body?

Vic1978

Dec 11, 2017
Anyone try the Performance Automotive PA26302 valve body?

I’ve been looking for a review by owner on a Mustang II or Cobra and I don’t see any.

I’m looking for a shift kit or valve body that is driveable under normal driving then chirp the tires when needed.

• Sponsors (?)

I installed a restrictor plate or whatever it was way back in 1990 or 91, but at that time it was just an over the counter part at places like Advance Auto. What I used worked exactly as it sounds you are looking for. IIRC, it was a B&M shift improver kit or something along those lines and it was really simple to install. Here is a link to what I think I used, it's been forever so it could've been a different brand.....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-50262/overview/

I installed a restrictor plate or whatever it was way back in 1990 or 91, but at that time it was just an over the counter part at places like Advance Auto. What I used worked exactly as it sounds you are looking for. IIRC, it was a B&M shift improver kit or something along those lines and it was really simple to install. Here is a link to what I think I used, it's been forever so it could've been a different brand.....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-50262/overview/

Thank you LILCBRA. I ended up buying the performance auto valve body Saturday, we’ll see how that works.

I’ll post it after the install.

Reactions: 1 user
I installed the valve body and I just get stiff shifts, nothing more. I believe the rear end has a gear ratio of 3.00, if the rear end wasn’t changed out throughout the years and from what I read, need a higher stall converter because of my cam.

Im sure that if I replace with better parts, I’ll get better performance out of it. One thing I don’t want to lose is more top end, right now, the top end is ok. Wish I had a fourth forward gear in the transmission.

That's really about all the valve body will do for you, so it sounds like it's working as advertised. As for another forward gear, you'd most likely need another transmission like an AOD. I think someone sold an add-on part or a lock-up converter or something that gives you another "gear" but I could be mistaken. I haven't run an automatic in my car for quite some time - like around 20 years - so I'm not up on everything there is to know about them any more. The closest I've come is an 84 convertible that I transplanted a 5.0/AOD/8.8 combo from a Lincoln Mark VII. I only ran the car for maybe 2 years before I had to sell it, but it was a fun little car! I left the transmission completely stock, only changed a seal or 2 because it was leaking all over the place. As for help on the top end, a quick and easy way to do that would be swap a taller tire, but you'll lose acceleration from the line that way. The opposite is true if you use a smaller diameter tire. It's all a trade off in that regard, same with swapping rear gears.