Status
Not open for further replies.
The barra is Fords version of the 2JZ that engine can make well over 1k hp without pulling the head.

If these were available 2 months ago i would be putting one in the mustang, i can drive over and get one of these in an afternoon
God damn it!!
if this was available 6 months ago I would bought it.
And that's taking into consideration that the starter is on the wrong side of the engine.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Oh yeah, but take it from me, any time you put cams on even a lower 9.2" deck height I6, it becomes physically larger than the old 300 Ford F150 truck engine.

IMHO, here's THE engine to add twin turbos to...the 5.0 Windsor Fuelie engine on the right.

Care of engine afficinado gb500 at Ford Forums dot com dot Aye Ewe.

BarraI6_vs_WindsorV8.jpg

The I-6 Barra, well, Its just H-U-G-E.

Yeah, a bigger I6 cammer sounds a heck of a lot nicer than any Skyline GTR or 2JZ engine. but its even bigger than the Jappa boat anchors.

file.php

Sell it, and buy a Ford V8....

Since you talked about the Barra, for a few years, the DOHC Barra took the US market French Bordeux 55R5 N, S, E and W parts, (Explorer, Ranger, Mustang 4.0 or 4.6 gearbox) and you can fit those transmissions to the Aussie 2008-2010 bellhousing, and a 5 speed auto Turbo 4.0 Barra or C4 or Powerglide with maybee a Overdrive kit would capture 1000 hp with some ease. Ther is a C4 or Powergild auto bellhousing kit for the 4.0 I6.

But did I say how H-U-G-E the I-6 was?

Any cammer I6 or V8 engine conversion trades off about 100 cubic inches of bore spacing to pull more revs for the same power.

Since a good US OHV I6 or V8 engine can easily make 1.5 to 2 hp per cubic inch, OHC cam operation is just like saying Nyet to 150 or 200 hp right off. Nice to know you....Goodbye....

The size limitatations of any Overhead cam six?.

Well, having an Overhead Valve pushrod engine with , say, a 4.38 (SBF), 4.40 (SBC V8 or in line Chebby or GMC 250/292), 4.46 (LA SB Mopar), 4.47 (Ford 300 /4.9 inline six) to 4.625" (FE 390/427/428) bore spacing makes more power than the same size OHC engine with 3.8125 (Jag XK), 3.76/3.95 (Datsun Nissan/BMW) to 4.08" (Small Ford in liner Six) bore spacings. The size of in line sixes with cams is just H-U-G-E.

My 188 hp 2.5 liter Nissan Neo DOHC Variable Valve timing engine is a huge blott on the landscape. It sounds like a TR6 Triump, revs like a VTEC Honda to over 7000 grand, and , well its a piece of cattle crap compared to any 351, 352 Windsor, Cleveland or FE engine. There is nothing romantic about the Ford DOHC Barra. It piles parts on parts, and forgoes size to yeild the same power as a 5.0 liter supercharged DOHC Miami engine.

Henry Ford was right....the in line six is a great big turkey that needs a really special chilli sauce to spice it up. Any time youy have a high mounted camshaft system, you loose about 3.4" on engine space in the front, and gain a 100 cubic inch capacity penalty.

Which is why Chevrolet copied the last 351 Windsor overhead valve engine features (fireing order, head clamping, tappet diameter, block depth and two valve per cylinder valve angle. oling system) because in the Windsor 351 to perhaps 400 to aftermarket 454 cubic inch range, the combination is the most compact and most powerfull on a size to weight basis.

And thats from a guy who flat out loves Modular Cammer 3.937 bore spacing Ford V8 ohc's of any denomination.

They cut off about 200 thou from the ages old 250 ohv in line six block just to get it under the low hood of every 1987 to 2017 Ford Falcon. It was Honda front drive depth, seriously slammed, MN12 Tbird style.

For the OHC or DOHC, it is a very tall engine. It amazing a little 5.0 Windsor EFi fits under the hood of a late 90's Ford Falcon Pickup, but they savagely cut down the in line OHC CFi, Mutipoint, Intech, and the later DOHC Barra intake parts to package it all.

s-l500.jpg

Spare a thought for us in Australia and New Zealand.

From the 1966 Falcon pickup and Sedan based vans till 1984, it was all pretty tall hoods. Clevelands, Big Block FE's, and even 460's went in okay. A 250 would go anywhere, and you could slap a 4-bbl 650 on a 2V 250 and your dough was bread.

42723339141_31ab723071.jpg

5165311323_97a9941a0a.jpg

ford-falcon--xd-windowless-panelvan-51981-50101-1.jpg

Pretty soon, hoodline crumping was a Ford pandemic....and we had to deal with the nasty OHC engines and everything under hood became a festooned cluster of disaster.

ford-falcon-xh-xr6-manual-ute-project-unfinished--wheels-not-included-61834-3.jpg

1978-fairmont-futura-build-the-monster-chronicles-or-how-much-did-you-change-on-a-running-car-over-the-course-of-9-months.871263

In the old days, right up till the last Fully Fox based Lincoln LSC and even the Fox 4 SN95's and New Edges had an abundunce of hood height.

So you know, you can do what you want with a Fox.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
CarMichael Angelo said:
Well what was once behind the axle is now in front of it.
image-jpeg.jpg

That almost pointless muffler is now just a check point to try and control a minor amount of the racket coming out from behind the Monster now. The other muffler will go behind, and more than likely, I'll add some resonator kind of tail pipe behind that.
image-jpeg.jpg

The difference between an In Line Sixer without turbo becoming a Sh!+ Sack Ravine or a Dino 246GT is what happens to reflected noise in the primary pipe.

Unless it has small diameter pipes with almost 90 degree defelction, the tail pipe noise will be darned A-W-E-F-U-L-L.

In my hilly town, all the derranged Skline owners with GTS 4 doors with 2 and 2.5 liter in line twin cammers beave like the 6 cylinder Zephryr Zodiac guys did 40 years perviously. Everyone thought in 1978 that their 2.5 or 3.0 liter Zodiac sounded just like a 1974 European Challange Cologne Capri RS3400 Quad Cam. So today does eveyone with a Stagea or Skyline think its sound like a 1992 Bathurst 600 mile race Skyline GTR Turbo.

In reality, all the above (including my 1996 Nissan Stagea AWD) sound like a Stomper the failed Swiss Buggle player from my Richard Scarry picture book.

As the I6 engine size goes up, the drone gets lower pitched, but pretty soon it sounds like a garbage truck. Exactly like a non V8 gargabe truck....

Gimmie a V8 any day....Henry Ford was Right.....And Lawrence Pomery. Numerical Ascension Rules the Exhaust, Mustang Forders....

Any Nice work!

Advice Refering to the three picture of my old 1981 #8,086

I fixed the Dreaded Darrin Manhattan Drone by Y piping it to two duals.

In your case, Don't Pull Up on the Breach....

Tri- Y your existing tail pipe.

Split in once with a dual pipe split at the driverside aft, and then split each pipe once again with two M81 McLaren drops.

More Double Barrelled Action.

39430180990_7d142e8ecb_b.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, but take it from me, any time you put cams on even a lower 9.2" deck height I6, it becomes physically larger than the old 300 Ford F150 truck engine.

IMHO, here's THE engine to add twin turbos to...the 5.0 Windsor Fuelie engine on the right.

Care of engine afficinado gb500 at Ford Forums dot com dot Aye Ewe.

BarraI6_vs_WindsorV8.jpg

The I-6 Barra, well, Its just H-U-G-E.

Yeah, a bigger I6 cammer sounds a heck of a lot nicer than any Skyline GTR or 2JZ engine. but its even bigger than the Jappa boat anchors.

file.php

Sell it, and buy a Ford V8....

Since you talked about the Barra, for a few years, the DOHC Barra took the US market French Bordeux 55R5 N, S, E and W parts, (Explorer, Ranger, Mustang 4.0 or 4.6 gearbox) and you can fit those transmissions to the Aussie 2008-2010 bellhousing, and a 5 speed auto Turbo 4.0 Barra or C4 or Powerglide with maybee a Overdrive kit would capture 1000 hp with some ease. Ther is a C4 or Powergild auto bellhousing kit for the 4.0 I6.

But did I say how H-U-G-E the I-6 was?

Any cammer I6 or V8 engine conversion trades off about 100 cubic inches of bore spacing to pull more revs for the same power.

Since a good US OHV I6 or V8 engine can easily make 1.5 to 2 hp per cubic inch, OHC cam operation is just like saying Nyet to 150 or 200 hp right off. Nice to know you....Goodbye....

The size limitatations of any Overhead cam six?.

Well, having an Overhead Valve pushrod engine with , say, a 4.38 (SBF), 4.40 (SBC V8 or in line Chebby or GMC 250/292), 4.46 (LA SB Mopar), 4.47 (Ford 300 /4.9 inline six) to 4.625" (FE 390/427/428) bore spacing makes more power than the same size OHC engine with 3.8125 (Jag XK), 3.76/3.95 (Datsun Nissan/BMW) to 4.08" (Small Ford in liner Six) bore spacings. The size of in line sixes with cams is just H-U-G-E.

My 188 hp 2.5 liter Nissan Neo DOHC Variable Valve timing engine is a huge blott on the landscape. It sounds like a TR6 Triump, revs like a VTEC Honda to over 7000 grand, and , well its a piece of cattle crap compared to any 351, 352 Windsor, Cleveland or FE engine. There is nothing romantic about the Ford DOHC Barra. It piles parts on parts, and forgoes size to yeild the same power as a 5.0 liter supercharged DOHC Miami engine.

Henry Ford was right....the in line six is a great big turkey that needs a really special chilli sauce to spice it up. Any time youy have a high mounted camshaft system, you loose about 3.4" on engine space in the front, and gain a 100 cubic inch capacity penalty.

Which is why Chevrolet copied the last 351 Windsor overhead valve engine features (fireing order, head clamping, tappet diameter, block depth and two valve per cylinder valve angle. oling system) because in the Windsor 351 to perhaps 400 to aftermarket 454 cubic inch range, the combination is the most compact and most powerfull on a size to weight basis.

And thats from a guy who flat out loves Modular Cammer 3.937 bore spacing Ford V8 ohc's of any denomination.

They cut off about 200 thou from the ages old 250 ohv in line six block just to get it under the low hood of every 1987 to 2017 Ford Falcon. It was Honda front drive depth, seriously slammed, MN12 Tbird style.

For the OHC or DOHC, it is a very tall engine. It amazing a little 5.0 Windsor EFi fits under the hood of a late 90's Ford Falcon Pickup, but they savagely cut down the in line OHC CFi, Mutipoint, Intech, and the later DOHC Barra intake parts to package it all.

s-l500.jpg

Spare a thought for us in Australia and New Zealand.

From the 1966 Falcon pickup and Sedan based vans till 1984, it was all pretty tall hoods. Clevelands, Big Block FE's, and even 460's went in okay. A 250 would go anywhere, and you could slap a 4-bbl 650 on a 2V 250 and your dough was bread.

42723339141_31ab723071.jpg

5165311323_97a9941a0a.jpg

ford-falcon--xd-windowless-panelvan-51981-50101-1.jpg

Pretty soon, hoodline crumping was a Ford pandemic....and we had to deal with the nasty OHC engines and everything under hood became a festooned cluster of disaster.

ford-falcon-xh-xr6-manual-ute-project-unfinished--wheels-not-included-61834-3.jpg

1978-fairmont-futura-build-the-monster-chronicles-or-how-much-did-you-change-on-a-running-car-over-the-course-of-9-months.871263

In the old days, right up till the last Fully Fox based Lincoln LSC and even the Fox 4 SN95's and New Edges had an abundunce of hood height.

So you know, you can do what you want with a Fox.

All this to say that Dean doesn't like the Big assed Barra.

In retrospect, ( so my retrospect won't get lost in my reply to Dean )

Anybody who has put up with me for the last 5 years knows that I'd have a chipmunk on a conveyor belt under my hood before I'd put another Windsor in anything.
It comes from from growing up in the 70's.
When you grow up in the 70's, you buy CarCraft, and Hot rod magazine. In every new issue of both of those magazines, there was always yet another picture of a god damned 67-69 Camaro with yet another set of pictures of the backwards assed, distributor in the rear, " venerable SBC.

Where there wasn't a picture of a SBC, there was one of a BBC. And if it wasn't a Camaro, it was a Chevelle. The monotony of the magazine made me question why I even bought it.( I always bought it because there was always at least one obligatory picture of some ford in the magazine, even though it would be of some typical for the day jacked up to the moon straight axle'd
Falcon sporting a laced 20 coat lacquer paint job)

Back then, owning a ford was the difference, not the norm.

And now the Mustang has become the 69 Camaro, and the Windsor in any size.........a freakin SBC.

Knowing what I know now about I-6's, there wouldn't be a 250 in my car. Even in its present config. There'd be the even longer 300 with a " cut n spliced" LS head adapted to it instead.
I passed on the 300 back then because of where they put the internal oil pump. It was dead in the middle where the K member cross over would be, and wouldn't allow me to set the thing low enough in the bay.

But had I known that I was gonna drop 700.00 on an external oil pump.....

We are as quiet as church mice and as polite as a prostitute at mass.
All this to say that Dean doesn't like the Big assed Barra.

Thanks for translating. I wasn't sure what Dean was saying. :rlaugh:

Although, that 66 Ranchero is pretty sweet.

That's why my brother and I drag raced the 455 Buick. At the local 1/8 pig hole, there would be 75+ cars. at least 65 were Camaro's, Chevelles, or Nova's. There were a handful of G-Body. They all had SBC or BBC (before God blessed humanity with the LS). There were maybe 5 60's Mustangs that would show up from time to time, all SBF. There was a 69 Olds Cutlass 'vert with a 455 Olds. And there was a VW Rabbit with a SBC. I think every now and then a Mopar would dare show up. We had a decal made for the trunk lid that said Not All Big Blocks Wear Bow Ties. The Buick has a front mount distributor, so people would walk by, do a double take and say, hey how did you get those valve covers made that say BUICK for that BB Mopar or BB Ford?

We met a lot of folks that we probably never would have otherwise, because they walked by and saw we were doing something different.

In retrospect, ( so my retrospect won't get lost in my reply to Dean )

Anybody who has put up with me for the last 5 years knows that I'd have a chipmunk on a conveyor belt under my hood before I'd put another Windsor in anything.
When you grow up in the 70's, you buy CarCraft, and Hot rod magazine. In every new issue of both of those magazines, there was always yet another picture of a god damned 67-69 Camaro with yet another set of pictures of the backwards assed, distributor in the rear, " venerable SBC.

Where there wasn't a picture of a SBC, there was one of a BBC. And if it wasn't a Camaro, it was a Chevelle. The monotony of the magazine made me question why I even bought it.( I always bought it because there was always at least one obligatory picture of some ford in the magazine, even though it would be of some typical for the day jacked up to the moon straight axle'd

And now the Mustang has become the 69 Camaro, and the Windsor in any size.........a freakin SBC.

Knowing what I know now about I-6's, there wouldn't be a 250 in my car. Even in its present config. There'd be the even longer 300 with a " cut n spliced" LS head adapted to it instead.
I passed on the 300 back then because of where they put the internal oil pump. It was dead in the middle where the K member cross over would be, and wouldn't allow me to set the thing low enough in the bay.

I started hating those magazines when I was a young teenager. My stepdad had them all over the house. At that time he was building his 1977 Maverick with a 289 that he thought would be fast with a big cam, open headers, C6 w/3200 stall converter, and 4.11s.:rlaugh::rlaugh:

Thats when i really became a gearhead. He taught me how an engine works and how to drag race.

Last edited:
In retrospect, ( so my retrospect won't get lost in my reply to Dean

Do a Cleveland then. I mean, it's been done, there was a gorgeous blue fox in MM&FF about 10 years ago with one, with a crazy twin-tb intake, but you and I both know you'd take it so much further than that.

Or get really crazy, do a Windsor, but use that gawdawful 255 as your base. (Nah, that'd suck.)

Or, and I'm just throwing this out there...

5.4dohc from a Navigator.

Plenty of oddball Ford V8s out there to play with. Everyone and their uncle has a Windsor in their Fox, and if not that, a damned Coyote.

I think he's good with what he is working with. :nice:
Jus' sayin there are other V8s if a desire to be different drove him to the I6.
I can sympathize, my first 'stang had a crazy 2.3 with a big cam, custom intake manifold, and a 4bbl Holley in the name of being different, but in the end I sold it and bought a V8 car.

well it's running again...

View: https://youtu.be/7T_tM-FYwnI

My iPad refuses to work at this site, ......so,...if it works, it works. If it don't blame Noobz.
The engine sounds the way it always has...( like a tractor) the exhaust note is perfect for me.
The vid clip picks up the fuel pump noise and the engine itself, even when I'm standing behind the car. ( noisy muther fckr) but it is way better.
The idle note is low, when I rev it it actually quiets down......
Perfect for me.

Reactions: 3 users
well it's running again...

View: https://youtu.be/7T_tM-FYwnI

My iPad refuses to work at this site, ......so,...if it works, it works. If it don't blame Noobz.
The engine sounds the way it always has...( like a tractor) the exhaust note is perfect for me.
The vid clip picks up the fuel pump noise and the engine itself, even when I'm standing behind the car. ( noisy muther fckr) but it is way better.
The idle note is low, when I rev it it actually quiets down......
Perfect for me.

You're right Mike, still sounds like a tractor.

Prettiest looking tractor engine I've seen though, and I've worked tractor pulls before.:D

Glad it's running with the right note for you though, I'd like to hear it opened up a bit.

Ford Dancing Knitting Kneedle Engines for eva for me...

The Barra is awesome, but it is also awesomely big. I cannot hate on the engine, but there you go, you've gotten the idea....a 300 six with a proper cylinder head eats an cammer. And I doubt a 300 block will snap, but there's proabably another custom cam to make by line boring the block. And then still the Ford Carpenter truck or Baggage Claim engine note.

This was the right intermediate step up from the Windsor and Cleveland Over headers

Ford could swing back to old school engines without Rubber Bands or High Mount Sthil Chainsaw bar drives.

FVPR_32V_4v_per_cylinder_302who_Ford_001.jpg

I think you need to finish your exhaust they way that pleases you. The engine will sound like a sweeter than 2JZ under load with the right tail pipes.

I went through all this I Six anguish when I was a 17 yo. We had a River Run, a death or glory cattle track in gravel that we younsters used to drive. Yours truly and Mark and my other mate Greezy Dan took lots for the car to cruise. It was the night after the school formal, and we three didn't drink and were the sober drivers. Mum and Dad were in Australia, and I had 3 cars to chose from.That night, I did the 3 mile run in my Escort Van, and got it airborne with a passenger. Then my mate took out his IRS Datsun 180 B, and got it airborne too. How would the Vauxhall Velox go over here, Deano?.It went pretty good but its soft, French like suspension and brand new Ford Falcon gas pressure shocks with four full tread brand spanker 195R7514 Kelly Springfield's didn't allow it to get air borne like the Escort or Datsun did. But the coolest thing was what Greezy Dan said. "I heard your six cylinder Vokie from a mile away, and it was crazy, Deano!".

Now, my little pushrod, 6.8:1 compression, 77.9 hp 138 cubic inch GM six didn't sound like a kind of tinny sound that the Triumph TR6 or GT6 or a BMW 323i had, it was deaper, and had a nice hard edge.. Like the 1985 Electronic Injection Calais 3.3 liter six, the nicest sounding I6 Holden ever made. To me, in 1987, my ancient 58 2.3 liter was the nicests in line six to have, and the old timers found that the engine carried a 260 degree cam with about 370 thou of lift stock, so even though the 12 port heads intake valves, ports and the single 34 mm 1-bbl carb were sized for just a 4400 rpm power peak, my converted close ratio floorshift 4 speed six could be taken out to 5800 rpm each gear change. And that's how it always has been with pushrod sixes. Get the gearing , head porting and cam right, then don't overcook the exhaust size, and its just the most excellent fun.

I had always planned triple SU's, or triple DCNF's or a 4-bbl RX-7 carb, but marriage and three kids got in the way of I6 nirvanna. I've still got the cam prfile Kelfords recomended for it, a Mini Metro 500 268 degree exhaust with a 288 degree intake. The plan was to run with the three HIF6 SU's, but then I got into Laboratory Testing and couldn't schedule my love for cars, long distance running , kids and work. Don't ditch the I-6, CMA.

Do it Thrice if you have to, but make it work to your satisfaction.

If you go Barra, You'll be Outaspace.You need some 3D's to inspire you. Key lyric.

" I tear it down once,
I tear it down I tear it down twice,
I tear it down I tear it down twice
and put it back up thrice

I dream of a time, I dream of a place
I dream of a time and place in outer space

In outer space, I have no place

I won't be so cool, I won't be so cool
I won't try to pull, I won't try to pull
The wool from over your eyes, the wool from over your eyes

In outer space, without a face
In outer space, I have no place

I heard you said, I heard you said
With eyes that bled, with eyes that bled
I heard you said, that you could read my head
I dream of a time, I dream of a place
I dream of a time and place in outer space

In outer space, without a face, I have no place, in outer space
"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePvmxGA2vqU

Last edited:
Underhood it sounds like a Ram Eco Diesel! It doesn't look like one though! I like the real gauges.

One question I may have missed.....if the header is on the passenger side, why is the tailpipe on the drivers side???

I was greatlty disappointed to see the turbo go, but this rendition appears to have turned out well. I am with the others, those gauges are much nicer. Never been a fan of the orange, but I know you love it. I think a different set of wheels are in order, but hopefully you can enjoy it some this summer.

Joe

For every weird part of my separatist thinking, I am really growing to like the way that my "big green tractor" engine sounds. What the casual observer cannot hear is, that although it sounds like a diesel, it gets that sound almost entirely from its noisy valve train, (85%) with the remaining being the 2618 alloy forged Pistons rocking away in their bores.

It's kinda musical to me actually.

Much in the same way that a big solid roller cammed V8 chirps, and tweets through open headers, until you hear it, you cannot have an appreciation for something like that unless your standing in front of it.

I didn't hear that fuel pump with the old exhaust, and now you can hear it plain as day. The thing is definitely quieter. Adding the muffler, and a resonator tail pipe to that made it go low. So now I can describe the difference using a " u" instead of "Laa"

In other words, the new exhaust note says: buh-buh-buh-buh, and the old one said blaah-blaah-blaah,.......classic cherry bomb glass pack.

( and I just hate the way a glass pack sounds)

I hated it bad enough to put the car back up on stands for two weeks and do what I just did.

The ring gear was not loose, so best case scenario is, I changed the old gear oil for some new stuff. ( which was changed just last summer when the ring gear bolts tried to blow out through the old cover)
There still is an annoying clank when you put it in reverse, or drop in into low at an intersection... ( tells me I have to look at the transmission,.....which I'm not gonna do until that clank becomes more than an "annoyance")

I don't know how much horsepower it makes, but I do know it doesn't take much pedal to get it to get it to break the tires loose past the brakes. If this car doesn't makes over 275-300 ft.lb of torque at the tire, I'll be surprised. And this comes from sitting in cars rated directly between those numbers daily.

So boys, color me happy again. The next thing I plan to do is ask # 1 if he'll help me make a better vid of a full dead stop pull through third gear drive by, so we can all see and hear what this thing looks and sounds like at WOT.

And as much as I hate to kill tires,.....maybe, just maybe.........a 2nd gear burnout.:burnout:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.