Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you say waffles? When I was close to parking my 85, I said let's put a 2.3t (old school) in it. So I shopped around and almost bought one, but then I found a 144 B&M mini roots blower. A big POS, but it was $500 so I bought it. Said screw the 2.3 let's run about 6psi thru the 302 with instant torque. So it sat waiting on me to scrounge up all the missing parts and send it to be rebuilt. Then I found a almost 0 mile 351 shortblock. SO I bought that and started buying stuff for it. I have everything except heads to put it in a Fox. I could use my existing heads. Or for $1600 or so I could get some AFR185 or TFS 11R190. I've almost pulled the trigger on Ebay 4 or 5 times for those. But then I came across a Powerdyne BD11A for $700 and bought that. So right now the 302 is still complete and sitting in the car. The 351w is on the stand right in front of it. I was going to get the 302 running when I rewire and then do a 351w swap, but now my mind has wandered and I'm thinking get the 302 running N/A and put the blower on it. And then maybe put the 351 in with the blower on it. I have no idea what will be in and actually crank in that car when I get to the point of putting the key in and turning it.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Is this drive to Gulfport for Cruisin the Coast? I go every year. I hope you and Monster make it there! That would be awesome to meet the legend MadMike, Mikey 2-Times, CarMichaelAngelo!! :hail::banana:....and The Monster
Yes. The plan is to be there Thursday for the last 3 days of the event...but there are a few contingencies.
#1. There is a really good chance that the wife has won a trip for 9 Days to Africa in November...if that has happened, the car cruise is cancelled.
#2. There is supposed to be somebody coming on Sunday to look at the car to purchase off of eBay. If that happens, the car cruise is cancelled.
#3. If number # 1, or #2 don't happen, I remove the oil filter and inspect and replace it. I'll do that 1-2 times after that with an oil change before I go if things look better....if the subsequent oil filter inspections keep looking like the previous ones, then the engine is failing internally....if that is happening, then the car cruise is cancelled.
If the guy don't come on Sunday, and if he don't buy the Monster, then There is a AC/Delco box sitting on my workbench with a Camaro vacuum pump in it. I'll rig the thing up to work like the example in "Granny's tripod" that drew linked to me, but I'll include a timer circuit to run the ting after the engine has shut off for a minute or two to evac some of the moisture that forms after that.

I don't know how many of you see numbers that remind you of engines, but I do. I don't know how many replies remain on this page, but the last 3 pages are my three fav ford displacement engines...it'd be ironic if this thread ends on page 429.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It's a sign that says 'the monster needs a boss9'
No,...if I had disposable income that lets me get what I want, there'd be a Cammer in the car....stupid I know, considering the heads are un-obtanium.
maxresdefault.jpg

Behold, the "90 day wonder"

umm yeah be sure to let the guy know that not just anybody can screw around in the ECU..... its not like what i did is standard practice.
You'll be the go to for pay if he buys it.
Look,...nothing is sold here. He hasn't even committed to looking at it yet....and even then, he still has to make an offer to buy, which has a very small negotiation window as far as what I'm willing to take for it ( read.....I'm not negotiating)
Under any other circumstance where I've had to sell a car, they all have been because I had to...this one is the polar opposite...
I don't have to do jack.
I just don't want to keep a car in the garage that I don't use.

Screw with everyone's mind. Stop the thread on the next page and put a 430 Buick in it. Front distributor so most mouth breathers will assume it's a Ford.
No thanks....one obscure, totally over the top, impossible to service, who knows where you'll get replacement parts is enough for me..

If a Cam goes on this car,..you gotta get a new one from Australia. If you get a new can, it has to be modified to accomodate a SBF timing gear...if you have to replace the timing set, you gotta find a 56 tooth double roller chain.....
Get the picture?

No thanks....one obscure, totally over the top, impossible to service, who knows where you'll get replacement parts is enough for me..

If a Cam goes on this car,..you gotta get a new one from Australia. If you get a new can, it has to be modified to accomodate a SBF timing gear...if you have to replace the timing set, you gotta find a 56 tooth double roller chain.....
Get the picture?

Yep. Unobtainium.

Yep. Unobtainium.
I know this....that's why the car is priced at 12k ( in my mind....minus motor)...whoever buys this car, buys it because they intend to remedy the weird existing engine with a belly button. Whether that be a sbf, or an LS ,...the engine that currently resides in the bay serves no ones purpose save one.

As expected, the guy that was supposed to come and look at the car today found a reason not to.

At least he let me know before hand.

Today I'll continue as though I'm not trying to sell it..( cause I'm not trying....really). It's obvious to me that the engine is the hurdle that'll stand in that path,.....and it would have to be discounted significantly as a result. Not that there is a potential issue with the engine,...the problem is the engine.

I don't care. I like it. Ultimately, something will have to happen to it to justify going with a different one.
I'm thinking 15 psi should do it.

I have the vacuum pump,...I'll install it today. I'll also cut the oil filter open and replace it with a new one...that ought to be interesting enough for an update.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I'm interested in seeing if you have more metal in the filter.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but won't there always be small amounts of metal shavings found during the break in period?

As expected, the guy that was supposed to come and look at the car today found a reason not to.

At least he let me know before hand.

Today I'll continue as though I'm not trying to sell it..( cause I'm not trying....really). It's obvious to me that the engine is the hurdle that'll stand in that path,.....and it would have to be discounted significantly as a result. Not that there is a potential issue with the engine,...the problem is the engine.

I don't care. I like it. Ultimately, something will have to happen to it to justify going with a different one.
I'm thinking 15 psi should do it.

I have the vacuum pump,...I'll install it today. I'll also cut the oil filter open and replace it with a new one...that ought to be interesting enough for an update.

I think 15psi outta do it. :worthlesb

I'm interested in seeing if you have more metal in the filter.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but won't there always be small amounts of metal shavings found during the break in period?

@Davedacarpainter No. Not if everything is ok. It's never ok to find metal in the oil. The main reason for a quick oil change is to get rid of all the gunk in there from assembly lubes....even that is less of an issue with today's stuff. But when I fire a new engine, after about 30-60 minutes of running I change the filter and cut it open. There may be some sludgy looking stuff from the assy lube, but that's all that should be in there. I usually change the oil after 200-500 miles and look at it really good. By then the rings should be seated and all the gunk and goop out.

• Useful
I think there is always the question as to what is from machine work and what is from the engine eating itself. When I built mine I had metal shavings in the filter on first change. I kinda did like Mike and said if it's going to go it's going to go and just drive it. 8 years and 12k miles later she still runs strong. Actually had the motor apart at one time and motor looked fine.

Joe

Somebody please tell me how this is happening.
image.jpeg

Look closely now, cause the last time I dropped the filter, the surrounding oil was full of specs.
See anything?
So then let's cut open the filter and remove the pleating ...
image.jpeg

See anything?

There is nothing in the filter this time around...I drove the car 30 minutes last night.....I've wailed on the motor several times at 6200 rpm before that.....if the engine is failing, wouldn't there still be stuff in the filter?
My external oil pump picks up what's in the pan, runs it through one of those two coolers that's up front, and then it gets routed directly to the filter before it goes into the engine...if there was a bearing going it's still gonna be going. But,....where is it then?
There was sht in the last oil change..it looked like holy hell.
The only thing I can think of, is that somewhere machine process debris didn't get cleaned properly, and I put a dirty engine together...that has now been drained out with that last oil change, and all that's left is a few small specs of sht that'll get drained out when I pull the plug on the current oil..
I probably have some bearings that have dirt in them too,....but I'm not taking this engine apart now to check that.

I guess I'm stuck with this car now....:dammit:

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.