1978 Fairmont : It just doesn't get any better than this:

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I wonder what the differences are between their locker and an Eaton Detroit. My locker didn't or doesn't have any of those issues. I can imagine the frustration.

In any event, I just did a quick search for a comparison and found this article with this review.

Yukon Gear & Axle Grizzly Locker
The Yukon Gear & Axle (yukongear.com) Grizzly Locker is an automatic locking differential. It functions very much like a Detroit Locker, which it is essentially a copy of. However, it is generally considered to be weaker than the Detroit. We have seen some abusive tall-tire applications spit Grizzly Locker teeth.

Pros
No frills, simple automatic locking differential
100 percent traction to both tires
Cons
Quirky handing on-road
Locker can chuck teeth in abusive tall-tire applications

I hope you don't have any more problems with it.
I expect to.
You know, one guy will read that review ( i.e quirky handling on road) and think f that, while the other guy ( me) will think “ meh, they’re talking about the noise, and the clunking when going around a corner..what a bunch of wussies, I’m buyin it”)

Now ive got something that the words “ quirky” doesn‘t quite fit.
Its more like GIANT PAIN IN THE ASS.

Ive already been looking online for the fix for that..it’ll take 562.00.
* edit When you read that review though, they claim that the truetrac doesn’t apply 100% traction to both wheels..

And as with all things that I change that has a future change looming,..I’m wondering if the torque arm being so far off center somehow contributed to the loading when making that turn...

Last edited:
  • Sponsors(?)

MustangIIMatt

I need something stupid to play with
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
I wonder what the differences are between their locker and an Eaton Detroit. My locker didn't or doesn't have any of those issues.
My only issue with my Detroit is that it likes to lock up when backing up while turning. People give you strange looks when you chirp a tire backing into a parking spot at idle.

Reactions: 2Blue2

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
My only issue with my Detroit is that it likes to lock up when backing up while turning. People give you strange looks when you chirp a tire backing into a parking spot at idle.

I've not really noticed it while backing up, but then again I don't go backward too often with it. But as I've mentioned somewhere before, the clankity-clunk of the engagement/disengagement takes some getting used to. The first time I heard/felt it I thought I seriously broke something.

MustangIIMatt

Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
I've not really noticed it while backing up, but then again I don't go backward too often with it. But as I've mentioned somewhere before, the clankity-clunk of the engagement/disengagement takes some getting used to. The first time I heard/felt it I thought I seriously broke something.
It's a byproduct of the car sitting a lot, the fix is to go do a handful of lazy figure 8s in an empty parking lot.

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
It's a byproduct of the car sitting a lot, the fix is to go do a handful of lazy figure 8s in an empty parking lot.
Nah, that was on the first drive after getting the car in drivable condition. It took a minute or 2 to sink in as to what it was. Now it's expected and isn't near as violent as it was that first time - at least that's my perception anyway.

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
.I’m wondering if the torque arm being so far off center somehow contributed to the loading when making that turn...

Does that mean that the position makes one axle longer than the other? I would def think that it would have an effect. Each side wants to thrust the car in the direction of the centerline. One side has a mechanical advantage.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com

Nah, that was on the first drive after getting the car in drivable condition. It took a minute or 2 to sink in as to what it was. Now it's expected and isn't near as violent as it was that first time - at least that's my perception anyway.

Agreed , when I read his description I said to myself “ he got what he wanted and I know he hates it “

Does that mean that the position makes one axle longer than the other? I would def think that it would have an effect. Each side wants to thrust the car in the direction of the centerline. One side has a mechanical advantage.
It’s simple really.
I fcked up.
I just got off the phone with the company that I purchased the Locker diff. Told dude that I wasn’t expecting a refund, I got what I thought I wanted. I asked for a recommendation for a replacement...he tells me about Richmonds Helical version of a Truetrac. like the Grizzly locker is a cheaper version of a Detroit Locker, Richmonds Grip Pro is a cheaper version of a Detroit Truetrac. I’ll be in the replacement for a little over 400 shipped with a set of new carrier bearings, and I’ll put that crazy assed locker on eBay for 300 bucks.
Im laying in bed last night thinkin’: I’ve done the exact same thing to this car that I’m constantly bitching others out here for doing...Taking a driveable fun street car, and turning it into a pain in the dick.

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
It does seem at least that you'd be happier with something that controlled the power bias. Even if it's not 100%. Fish-tailing might be the evil side (we've all seen the video examples :rolleyes: )

MustangIIMatt

Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Meh,...I gotta admit I'm not all that in love with it. I want it to look like the old monster engine, but can't figure out what I need to do to match this kinda vibe w/o cutting open the side of a maverick engine, swapping over to a Aussie head, and hacking on 6 BMW tb’s.
4A27890F-6B5B-4EE0-A52E-C1AF5057B1B2.png

Why does the new engine have to be so........boring?

I've been thinking about this... (scary, I know).

We both know BMW are the experts of hiding the ugly parts of an engine, while leaving the cool parts exposed. Why not take a page from their book?
20210115_113857.jpg
20210115_145333.jpg

(Yes, I know the top picture is from a 750, it's the one I'm doing a wiring harness on, and the bottom one is from an X5 M50... it was just a good opportunity to highlight the difference an actually good looking cover can make for an engine).

Just something cool, artistic, and with flowing lines over the top of the coils should work.

Last edited:

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I've been thinking about this... (scary, I know).

We both know BMW are the experts of hiding the ugly parts of an engine, while leaving the cool parts exposed. Why not take a page from their book?
20210115_113857.jpg
20210115_145333.jpg

(Yes, I know the top picture is from a 750, it's the one I'm doing a wiring harness on, and the bottom one is from an X5 M50... it was just a good opportunity to highlight the difference an actually good looking cover can make for an engine).

Just something cool, artistic, and with flowing lines over the top of the coils should work.
I’m not a big engine cover fan..Even when Custom fab shops build them.

MustangIIMatt

Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
I’m not a big engine cover fan..Even when Custom fab shops build them.
I know, but the coils are what draws the eye away from everything else that looks good under that hood, and I can't think of a better way to hide them or to accentuate them in a good way.

I have it easy with my 4v, a pair of these http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=382333298183 will cover the coils and make the valve covers look sexy after I switch it over to COPs.

Something that could do that... maybe even scripted with something like "2JZ Cyclone" or something.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I know, but the coils are what draws the eye away from everything else that looks good under that hood, and I can't think of a better way to hide them or to accentuate them in a good way.

I have it easy with my 4v, a pair of these http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=382333298183 will cover the coils and make the valve covers look sexy after I switch it over to COPs
Oh I could hide the coils, they could mount under the intake, and new wires could extend into a fake hemi head valve cover...But who has time to make a valve cover that looks like I have a 6 cyl hemi?

95BlueStallion

Drop into my dm’s gurrrrrl
10 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
www.goodreads.com
Im laying in bed last night thinkin’: I’ve done the exact same thing to this car that I’m constantly bitching others out here for doing...Taking a driveable fun street car, and turning it into a pain in the dick.

You’ll get it sorted, and it’ll be sweet when you do. You didn’t really think you wouldn’t have to do it twice, did you?

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Brakes....as in returning it back to stock POWER brakes.;)

Along with my previous statement regarding “ making the car a pain in the dick to drive”, the power brakes are making a comeback.
Fairmonts come with two different boosters. The big ass flat plate 9” single diaphragm, or the “ Police/taxi” dual 7.something-or other version.
Although I made room previously for a monster Cobra PBB, by clearancing the back of the strut tower, and welding in a relief, the intake manifold won’t allow it to fit..( hence the reason for getting rid of the power brakes this time around)
The dual diaphragm fairmont booster is significantly smaller in diameter than that thing, and I understand that I may not get the full benefit of the potential assist because of the Cobra calipers...But i’m thinking that in this case, when compared to the effort required to stop/hold the car with these manual brakes...it’ll be way better.

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
Brakes....as in returning it back to stock POWER brakes.;)

Along with my previous statement regarding “ making the car a pain in the dick to drive”, the power brakes are making a comeback.
Fairmonts come with two different boosters. The big ass flat plate 9” single diaphragm, or the “ Police/taxi” dual 7.something-or other version.
Although I made room previously for a monster Cobra PBB, by clearancing the back of the strut tower, and welding in a relief, the intake manifold won’t allow it to fit..( hence the reason for getting rid of the power brakes this time around)
The dual diaphragm fairmont booster is significantly smaller in diameter than that thing, and I understand that I may not get the full benefit of the potential assist because of the Cobra calipers...But i’m thinking that in this case, when compared to the effort required to stop/hold the car with these manual brakes...it’ll be way better.
Mike, you just made me realize something. Like you, I'm only done changing things when I've sold the car. Otherwise it will never get left alone.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Mike, you just made me realize something. Like you, I'm only done changing things when I've sold the car. Otherwise it will never get left alone.
Its not so much about an upgrade this time. Despite having tried this three times ( on three separate cars) I’ve never been able to make manual brakes perform even remotely close to a power brake system, despite reading that differently.
I moved the pivot point so high, the ratio is like a bagillion to 1,..the master cylinder is like a 15/16” bore..I should‘ve been able to give myself a brain bleed from the stopping power...
Instead It was like driving a bus....I had to plan ahead if I wanted to stop at a light.
This time it was all about returning the car back to a safer, more fun to drive version than it currently was.
All that changed today though....I now have “ cop brakes”
20210117_172603.jpg

This is the booster that is spec’d for the “Police/Taxi” 1983 Fairmont ...An awesome car, that will go down in history as one of the most fearsome vehicles ever to roll out of Dearborn......
:rlaugh:
The brake pedal had to be removed so that I could unbolt the rod end that made up the pushrod for the manual brake system..Now that the Prius EPS motor was there,...I couldn‘t even see the top left nut, much less get to it..

Its gonna be a mutherfcker trying to get it back up there...
Probably on par with trying to change out a differential while laying on the ground,....under the car...