Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

What I think dean is say'n (if my 'down under dictionary is working correctly) your rods are too long.
like swinging a rock at the end of a rope, the longer the rope the more it bends between your hand and the rock. The bend in the rope represents a vibration wave, shorter rope, smaller wave, less vibration.
how'd I do @xecute ?
likely way off base, but it looked good in my head.

So, your rod is too long, bends too easy, swings like a rope, and JR spends his time imagining it? Also, his preference is the shorter the better.
Ahhhh, yeah.
or could it be his crank throw is too long?
go ahead, make fun of me. Someday I'm going to be right and ya'll can suck wind :jester: :spot:

• Haha
  • Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
The crank length of an in line six is about 28 inches and on the 250 , fatigue sets in at 1.75 hp per cube. Vibration increases with stroke, just like secondary vibration on a 2300 Ford engined stroked to 2500 ccs. All he!! Breaks loose in the crankcase.Longer rods and shorter stroke bring the level of vibration and stress down, so you can rev it more with less piston speed. The top dead and botton dead center rocking is reduced on short stroke, long rod engines. The old 240 big six, the 302C, 351M and Aussie 200 and 3.2s are short stroke, long rod versions of the 300 big six, 351C, 400 and Aussie 250 and 3.9 / 4.0 OHC. Those last ones are long stroke, short rod engines....like CMA's.
When you have a high compression long stroke , short rod turbo six, you gain power, smoothness and Mph on the 330 and 660 dash by destroking it.

Every item in the world acted on by Newtonian forces has an excitation period. Good Vibrations. The Beachboys....

Look at my F100 pickup avatar.The rough road is launching the rear axle into a low level orbit of the road. Crank throw to rod ratios of 1.5:1 cause the crank to shimmy like Chuck Berry....

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Id use it often.

It's back. Not sure where it went :shrug:

So you know... That image is of a Potroast. This is where I get to describe some Americana Derp. :D

Often when we make potroast, it's done in a slow cooker. By definition, it's too large a piece of meat to eat in one sitting. By the 3rd or 4th day, nobody wants it anymore. They've had enough of it for a while.

The same thing happens on forums. Someone posts something (can be a viral thing that goes out to the interWebz but not only) and invariably, 5 more ass-clowns come along who have not been following the thread and post the same thing.

[That] is interWebz potroast. :potroast:

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Every item in the world acted on by Newtonian forces has an excitation period. Good Vibrations. The Beachboys....

Look at my F100 pickup avatar.The rough road is launching the rear axle into a low level orbit of the road. Crank throw to rod ratios of 1.5:1 cause the crank to shimmy like Chuck Berry....
Here .......it's emoticon Friday. ( We now have a new one that I can use...yay)
I will be using emoticons to answer each and every suggestion that you have recommended in the last several months.......

When the ITBs were being considered and you were filling my head with anticipated N/A power levels...something about 300+ hp if I ported the head....which I did.... Subsequent road testing through the " seat-o-mom meter" found those anticipated power levels to be......”Less than”..

If that engine made more than 200 hp after the turbo was removed, I'll give you a cookie:cookie:

Going hand in hand with that, When it seemed that the engine had simply fallen on its face, ran out of steam, or was just plain gutless, and your recommendation was to add additional openings to the box to open up the air supply restriction so that the 12" of throttle opening(s) weren't being choked by the single 3" opening, ......
And after due consideration......Removing the box completely and subsequently road testing it........it didn't seem to make one damn bit of difference...
And,...after even more careful consideration, ......concluding that if by putting a larger than port diameter air metering device directly on the intake port would allow the engine to make absurd power over what it might've made through a common restricted opening plenum.....and it didn't......I can't help but think that........
Maybe my engine can only breathe so much air in each cycle regardless of how unrestricted it's intake system is/was...based solely on its old assed design limitations, and chicken dick port and valve sizes.....regardless of how many throttle bodies I put on it...:bang:

When the turbo reappeared, and you recommended ( still) that I should put a second opening on the box,..and then said something about adding additional throttle bodies to meter it....on the outside of the box....
:nono:
When the engine noise started to bug me,..and your suggestion was to make some gigantic NVH ramp at the rear of my engine compartment to insulate/isolate that noise from the passenger compartment...
And later,....to consider havIng a custom built set of carbon fiber pushrods built to help reduce all of the metal on metal harmonics,...and who knows how the hell much that would cost...
When deciding to dump the ITB system partly because of the complexity, partly out of frustration, and mostly because I just didn't see the benefit based on the same thought process of....”If im gonna force air into an engine,.it won't matter how many throttle openings there are if all of the compressed air is coming out of one 2.25" outlet...and going into one common inlet,
The same as the case on the 700+ Hp Hemi in the hellcat, the 600+ hp in the ls powered Z06, or the 500+ hp late model Boss 302.....who the hell needs an ITB induction system, on a forced induction engine?
And.....since having one common inlet on one end of a sealed plenum is essential to forcing air into an engine especially considering that a lot of that compressed air is leaking out before it even gets past a throttle blade”....it made sense to completely eliminate the throttle bodies altogether.....The thought being that if having the biggest possible entrance into the intake port was essential to making power...eliminating those restrictions altogether should net the highest possible gain......Yet,......you told me I was trading away potential power despite all of the headache revolving around that system,..
:chin.......nope,..the finger still says no.:nono:
Now you want me trade away cubic inches,...when every other rule of thumb when making power is that there is no substitute for cubic inches, and the related torque that comes with it....Especially considering that the core intended usage of this car is to be driven on the street....:nono:
Congratulations sir....you are the very first person that I’ll award the honorary title of having the most NSTF’s in any one of my replies..henceforth to be known as the Ambassador of all thing wishful, and no things actual. And to that end...

Your prize...::whine:

• Loved It!
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
Awwww. Shucks. Thanks for the rub.

Nice CMA.

As for the Five fingered Dead Punch.

In no particular order....

nono.gif
ITB's, upstream Flow net pre throttle body air flow, proven technology one for one when executed correctly.
nono.gif
NVH reduction ramps.BMW, GM Opel/Holden/Vauxhall, Ford (Hash 7 and Australian Cortina)Hyundai Stella
nono.gif
short L/R ratios, proven results on specific horsepower. EMC are not endurance events
nono.gif
carbon fiber pushrods built to help reduce all of the metal on metal harmonics . 250 dollars US. Ones offs are in excesse of 60 bucks each, but not in bulk.
nono.gif
WHY do an ITB induction system? Unforced, or on a forced induction engine Nissan, it made Godzilla The Power. Unforced. 400 hp with ease in that 50 DCO Falcon pickup. Early carbed Lotus Esprit Turbo, on just 9 pounds, IIRC 227 hp in a crack prone 910 block.

You got all that, and you gave the finger after considered thought.

I get that. No means no,

despite what I consider the extensive evidence I provided.

If you cannot see yourself cost effectively building ITB's, NVH ramps, short rod ratios, carbon fibre push rods, and cannot see the advantages because of it, then that's quite okay.

I'm from the south. Kin folk here sometimes have a sixth finger on each hand. Make sure two six fingerd people don't breed becauses its a dominant gene.

And for you.
nono.gif

Number six.The injectors are in the wrong spot. They were in the ITB's, are in the single TB intake.

And Seven

nono.gif

dominantGene.jpg

The six Venturi size basics that work to get flywheel net horspower are these:-

For any thing port on port, irresepctive of grouped plenumb, assuming a 5 inch from butterfly to valve head.

Up to 1.181" or 30mm,180 hp six
up to 1.260" or 32mm, 198 hp six
up to 1.378" or 35mm, 234 hp six
up to 1.496" or 38mm, 276 hp six
up to 1.575" or 40mm, 306 hp six
up to 1.653" or 42mm, 336 hp six
Up to 1.771" or 45mm, 390hp six
up to 1.889" or 48mm, 444 hp six
up to 1.968" or 50mm, 480 hp six
up to 2.047" or 52mm, 522 hp six
up to 2.126" or 54mm, 558 hp six.

If upstream area is less than this, you won't get the full benefit.

If you didn't get more than what felt like 200 rwhp, then something was wrong. Upstream of the throttle bodies. Or in the leaks, the injector placment, the cam splay or the transmission losses with the 4 stage were high. The white Falcon pickup I posted. 280 rwhp and at least 390 hp at the flywheel with 45 mm venturis. That's all I gotta say. All that other stuff, well, its your post, your finger...

And Mike,

I had a coffee before I pushed the button. But I still edited it anyway.....

deanoMOCCACHINO6.jpg

This six toed Norsk Lundehund will keep your feet warm, and won't do you any harm.

Last edited:
It's back. Not sure where it went :shrug:

So you know... That image is of a Potroast. This is where I get to describe some Americana Derp. :D

Often when we make potroast, it's done in a slow cooker. By definition, it's too large a piece of meat to eat in one sitting. By the 3rd or 4th day, nobody wants it anymore. They've had enough of it for a while.

The same thing happens on forums. Someone posts something (can be a viral thing that goes out to the interWebz but not only) and invariably, 5 more ass-clowns come along who have not been following the thread and post the same thing.

[That] is interWebz potroast. :potroast:
I was looking for throwing the six fingered goat, but its not here...

deanoMOCCACHINO006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.