Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

What a fckin day.

Spent the first half of the day cussing Steve. Because after we talked this morning, and he sent me the tune, he had to go do something. Said he’d call me back in 5 minutes.

Then after waiting about an hour, I couldn’t get him to return the texts I sent him.
Dead in the water.

After about an hour and a half, I get an email from him wondering WTF.
Turns out I accidentally blocked him. :stupid:.

Once back on track, we struggled for the next several hours trying to get my janky ass ECU to start my engine.
one little sputter, then dead. No more injectors.

Disgusted, I tell him that there’s clearly a dead injector driver, and nothing he or I could do about that today. We say good bye.
I take the ecu out of the car, and open it up to see if I could see evidence of a burned i/c.
What I find, is that the ribbon cable that connects the two ms3x boards together was not fully pushed on its pin socket. MOF it was barely making contact.

I push it back on, take the opened ecu over to the car, hook it up, and test the injectors.
Now they work. I turn the key, the engine coughs and sputters,....then dies.

Then on my own,...for the next 60-90 minutes, can only manage to get the thing to lug and sputter for about 3-5 seconds each time I try to start it.
And basically pour gasoline in the engine.
After discovering a fairly large oil leak ( as evidenced by the plate sized puddle forming under the engine) Loose oil line fitting.
Then another puddle under the transmission. Another loose line fitting. ( much harder to tighten,...caused much loud bad words to be coming from out my mouth).
” Do you unnerstand the words comin‘ out my mouth”;)

The good thing from all of this is that once the car started running,...the trans fluid left the pan...( and went wherever it goes when the front pump is doin what it’s supposed to do) So,...the 2:30 amd can go fck himself.

The bad thing is that the car didn’t start. 4 of the 6 plugs were fouled. The other 2 , (2&6) weren’t firing.
If this was random,.....".like, 1, and 3,....I might be able to blame the coils.....but 2and 6 are sisters...the likelihood that it’s a dead coil times two when we’re talkin’ sisters....something is wrong in the ecu...again.

I pushed my luck with Kate today. Went way over my allotted time to fck off in the garage, when I was supposed to be helping her in the yard. The likelihood that I’ll get one minute to test to see if it’s a bad coil, or a bad output will be between slim and none.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like your close! 2&6 ARE NOT SISTERS THOUGH! Besides 6 firing before 2 there is no connection. There not even on the same throws. 1 and 6 are related as are 2 and 5.
I wont argue with you when I’m wrong about the more expensive ( and bigger pain in my ass) to fix.
If I can test those two, and find that I got two DOA ” made in Mexico” coil packs....( as bad as that is)....
I‘ll either do one of 4 things:
1. Buy 6 ign 1a coils. (And new wires to fit.) The most expensive “ right way to fix it.
2. Buy 6 “ made in USA” white epoxy d 585 coils. (Probably just as expensive, but my wires will fit.)
3. Buy 2 35.00 d585 Mexico coils. To add to the other damn Mexican coils.
4. Muster all I’ve got strength-wise to roll the whole fckin car out of the garage, and let it roll into the woods behind my house.......( piece of fckin sht)

Well clearly you have come way too far for #4. Besides the "what was it will haunt you".
You should have heat in all of the pipes? But the header is wrapped correct?
Nope, coated. I never got more than luke warm exhaust temps.... Besides,......as clean as 2&6 were,..they would’ve been as cold as a .........

Well good morning.

After discussing it with my late night visitor, and depending on what I find ( when I get a chance to test them) I have decided that I'll replace those d 585 coils with ign1a units. As expensive as the damn things are, they are still about 30-50 bucks a piece cheaper than the good "white epoxy" filled D585 replacement coils. ( Mine are the cheap black epoxy Mexican built pieces that have alot of negative reviews)
The ign1A pieces are 71.00 each, plus a 15.00 each pigtail from either Summit, or DIY autotune directly. That's gonna be 550.00 added to the " cheap complete JY engine swap" I decided to take on back in August of last year.
I may be able to cut the coil end of my existing plug wires, and convert the other end over to the 90 degree end that came with the wires. If I can, then I'll be able to save that money. If not, then add a set of Taylor plug wires to the total.

Reactions: 1 user
There's always Pull A Part to get some quick and easy 'checker coils'.

Oil leaks are good...at least it means stuff is moving thru the lines!

You need a yard guy! There's a guy named Enrique that does 9 of 12 yards just on my street. He's pretty much in my neighborhood all day Sat and Sun. Super nice dude that works his ass off. I pay him and get more time in the garage....or on the Youtube...as the case may be.

Swap coils and injectors and figure out if one/two of them are bad or if it's wiring or ECU. Or maybe the Steve mod. (lol) Maybe you need to send Steve more a) Beer b) liquor c) Stimulus check

Charge up the Go Pro. Send the address to ship the new tires. Burn the existing ones til they pop!

There's always Pull A Part to get some quick and easy 'checker coils'.

Oil leaks are good...at least it means stuff is moving thru the lines!

You need a yard guy! There's a guy named Enrique that does 9 of 12 yards just on my street. He's pretty much in my neighborhood all day Sat and Sun. Super nice dude that works his ass off. I pay him and get more time in the garage....or on the Youtube...as the case may be.

Swap coils and injectors and figure out if one/two of them are bad or if it's wiring or ECU. Or maybe the Steve mod. (lol) Maybe you need to send Steve more a) Beer b) liquor c) Stimulus check

Charge up the Go Pro. Send the address to ship the new tires. Burn the existing ones til they pop!
Just like you pay Enrique to do your yard maintenance, I have a guy that we pay as well. This is the kinda sht that goes way beyond mowing and edging. It involves digging up sht that she wants gone, leveling that area, laying down weed block fabric and mulching....

Fortunately for me,...She/we have been at it since about 7 am, and now the sun is overhead, and she is tired.
ill have time here to check those coils shortly.

Oh, and along the lines of paying somebody else to do stuff,.......you couldn’t pay me to spend one freakin minute in a JY pulling anything off of a car.

Just like you pay Enrique to do your yard maintenance, I have a guy that we pay as well. This is the kinda sht that goes way beyond mowing and edging. It involves digging up sht that she wants gone, leveling that area, laying down weed block fabric and mulching....

Fortunately for me,...She/we have been at it since about 7 am, and now the sun is overhead, and she is tired.
ill have time here to check those coils shortly.

Oh, and along the lines of paying somebody else to do stuff,.......you couldn’t pay me to spend one freakin minute in a JY pulling anything off of a car.

My wife wanted raised planters a few years ago for veggies. They are full of weeds now, because it's up to me to work them and I am not. I might plant some zuc and squash but that's it.

Wha?? You could put 6 coil packs off a LS motor in 10 minutes, not break a sweat and walk out for less than 100 at the Pull A Part. I guess the walking on the rough as hell gravel lot isn't nice on the bionic knees though.

Well,.... Coil six was doa.
I don’t know what was going on with 2, but that coil pack is firing .

At least it was firing.

All of that Mexican built sht is in the same box that the other 8 LS coils are in. I ordered the Ign1a coils, and the crimp connector pins and socket so that I could build the new pigtails. 478.00 to my door. Should be here Tuesday.

Preemptively, I modified the coil mount plate for the new plug wire angle. The new plug wires will have a 90 degree head, whereas the old ones were on a 45. That means that the slot needed to be elongated so that the plug wires will be more lined up than they were before.

I built the plug wires...
20200503_163346.jpg

Hopefully they’ll work.

Theres just too much at stake to have a freakin coil pack fail. And everything you read about these aftermarket GM coils is rifled with people complaining about doa failures, or at some point after install.

I ain’t having any of that sht. As stated,...I expect to be able to go anywhere in this car,..and I expect to be able to get back home.
There are no more leaks,..but just to be safe the car is back in the air, and it’ll stay there till after it’s running well enough to heat cycle the engine.
The other Corbeau should be here mid week, the coils on tuesday ( I think that’s my “ day off“) . It’ll be hard going back to work, I was getting real used to doing what I wanted...But w/o any money, ( gotta work to get paid) stayin home will have to wait 3 more years.

• Agree
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Show me where you said that.
When you first spoke of the coils I mentioned the ign1a somewhere in here and you said due to cost you were going to do the LS stuff . If I didn’t mention it then i am sorry but I surely thought it . I had 2 or 3 friends go down this road already . Everytime they went to ign1a no one had a single regret

When you first spoke of the coils I mentioned the ign1a somewhere in here and you said due to cost you were going to do the LS stuff . If I didn’t mention it then i am sorry but I surely thought it . I had 2 or 3 friends go down this road already . Everytime they went to ign1a no one had a single regret
I plan on joining the No Ragrets league...on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.