1979 mustang cobra... RIP.... pics

Gunnerm1

Apr 25, 2006
Long story short, while visiting my parents in rural Tx. They introduced me to their 81 year old neighbor . I discovered that on his 60 acres of land, he had scattered about 25 automobiles , all owned by him, most in working condition.
I almost threw up, when I found this rotting away. it’s a 1979 mustang cobra 2.3 turbo. I realize that it did not have the better of the two engine options for that year.
The kicker was that he parked it 14 years ago in the spot it sits now, with only 33k original miles.
So take a look at the pics and try to picture what condition it would be in if it had not been sitting out in the open for the past 14 years

View attachment 423001

View attachment 423003

View attachment 423005

View attachment 423007

View attachment 423009

View attachment 423011

View attachment 423013

View attachment 423015

View attachment 423017

View attachment 423019

Sad, and the worst part. he would never sell any of his vehicles.

• Sponsors (?)

795.0pacecar said:
You sure the odometer didn't role over and it actually has 133k?

Good point. If he parked it 14 years ago, it's been parked since 1992. It would be VERY easy to have 133k on it in it's 13 years of life.

Still stupid to let it rot away though :mad:

thats nothing as bad as what i went through about 6 months ago. My girlfriends mom told me she knows this guy that was willed some land that his late father had a bunch of mustangs out there and asked if i wanted to check it out. so i go to see what is there. I pull down a 500ft driveway and see nothing. as i make a turn i pull into mustang heaven. I counted 40 cars all from 65-69. 5 were fastbacks the rest were coupes and 7 verts. They had no idea how long they had sat there but everyone of them had 4 flat tires and sitting in the mud. all the bottoms of the car were rotted out. interiors were just springs and wire. I could have cried. I collected vin numbers on the fastbacks and one was a 289 car and another had the hertz paint scheme but i couldn't verify it being a real one. I had my pick of anything there for free, i just couldn't believe that it was all rotted out junk. what a waste

Check for rust underneath. If it's not too bad, offer him $500.00 for it. There aren't many left and it's rumored that there were only 7,000 of them that were built. It's very easy to change it over to a V-8 and the decals are available from www.phoenixgraphix.com. I bet a simple bath would improve the appearance greatly.

It could look something like this when done.

82853.jpg

I could never understand why people would rather park a car in their yard than have it towed to the junkyard. Around here people pay cash for junk cars. Sure its only like $20 but atleast theres not cars all over the yard.