The 93 Cobra Clone Build Project

Shock towers will never be a problem on this car ever. Been toting a spring compressor around for years, now that I need it, I can't find it of course. Found the mmt8, looks safer than the contraption I had. Another special tool in the box, for the next fox I'm sure. Can't do this just once.

Attachments

• KIMG0196.jpg
    KIMG0196.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Me: Look at this 93 cobra I found on craigslist. I didn't have to do anything to it, just turn the key and drive it.
My buddy: cool
Or...
Me: Look at this worn out 93 hatchback I completely disassembled, cleaned and repaired, reassembled with oem cobra parts, primed and painted by myself in my garage to look just like it came off the factory floor.
My buddy: cool

That's why
That's probably the most arrogant thing I've read today. Using that logic, buying a Fiero, disassembling and reassembling it with a Ferrari body kit would draw the admiration of your buddy more than buying the real thing. It's fine that you want to impress your friends, family, and the cute blond chick down the street, I'd support that, but don't make it sound like you're in an elite social class of Fobra owners.

I'm not sure where you're seeing the arrogance in that post. I read it as more of a "no one else will know, but I will". Nothing wrong in having pride in one's build. Most of the things people do here, while impressive, usually fly under the radar of the average layman.

Reactions: 3 users
That's probably the most arrogant thing I've read today. Using that logic, buying a Fiero, disassembling and reassembling it with a Ferrari body kit would draw the admiration of your buddy more than buying the real thing. It's fine that you want to impress your friends, family, and the cute blond chick down the street, I'd support that, but don't make it sound like you're in an elite social class of Fobra owners.

View: https://youtu.be/CMNry4PE93Y

Reactions: 1 users
Comparing a fiero/ferrari to a "fobra"(your silly term)/cobra might be a bit of a stretch.

None of us would deny that a '93 cobra is a nice mustang, and desirable as far as fox bodies go. I wouldn't mind having one at all.

But building a vehicle is just about as fun as it is to drive it. Fact is, it makes for an even better drive knowing you made it.

I don't think he's attempting to enter your little club of anti-fobra groupies. He just likes the style of the cobra and wants to build a copy of it.

What's wrong with that?

Reactions: 2 users
This suspension is 100% off a 4 cylinder. Kid told me he swapped the spindle and shocks, along with the rear end. I knew these nuts were never removed, I'm sure the rear end will be the same. 5.0 shocks do not fit on a 4 cylinder spindle. I even put some boots on off an old lift kit. Not a total loss, I'm sure at some point I will do this all over again to another car that is actually all 5.0 parts. So the 5 lug conversion is out of the question now. Maybe I'll try the t bird swap instead, f it.

Attachments

• KIMG0198.jpg
    KIMG0198.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 176
  • KIMG0197.jpg
    KIMG0197.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 174
If the rear end is still stock then it's a 7.5 and you'll want/need an 8.8 so start checking locally for one and hopefully you can find one already with the gears you want in 5 lug. Also you'll want to be sure it's fox length or you'll have a terrible time finding the right wheels for it.

The third swap still pushes the rear wheels out, right ? If I were you I'd source an 8.8 rear with 5 lug axles and some 94 - 95 spindles. The disc brakes from an sn95 will bolt to fox rear. Not sure about axle length.

I like the dust boot idea. Nice job !

A lot of strut manufacturers ( monro ) sell struts with spacer plates to fit 4 or 8 cylinder spindles.

I think its cooler to mod a 4 cylinder body when going full custom or making a clone. The reason is because true v8 cars deserve to live their lives in the form they were created in. My car is a 4 cylinder to v8 swap. The cool factor goes up when you can tell people that your beautiful 93 cobra clone used to be a 4 banger. That means you swapped everything.....which is what you probably would've done anyway.

The only v8 cars that will be worth a decent amount are the ones that are stockish and original numbers matching vehicles. The modified ones wont be as valuable, depending on how tasteful the mods are. The 4 cylinders will be worth more swapped to v8 if it runs, drives, and has quality workmanship.

The third swap still pushes the rear wheels out, right ? If I were you I'd source an 8.8 rear with 5 lug axles and some 94 - 95 spindles. The disc brakes from an sn95 will bolt to fox rear. Not sure about axle length.

I like the dust boot idea. Nice job !

A lot of strut manufacturers ( monro ) sell struts with spacer plates to fit 4 or 8 cylinder spindles.

I think its cooler to mod a 4 cylinder body when going full custom or making a clone. The reason is because true v8 cars deserve to live their lives in the form they were created in. My car is a 4 cylinder to v8 swap. The cool factor goes up when you can tell people that your beautiful 93 cobra clone used to be a 4 banger. That means you swapped everything.....which is what you probably would've done anyway.

The only v8 cars that will be worth a decent amount are the ones that are stockish and original numbers matching vehicles. The modified ones wont be as valuable, depending on how tasteful the mods are. The 4 cylinders will be worth more swapped to v8 if it runs, drives, and has quality workmanship.
sn95 was not even a car the last time I did this. If you wanted rear disc brakes you had to raid a cobra for parts or throw a 94 thunderbird rear end in or something. For the sake of getting on with the body work I'm just sticking with factory front suspension. 5.0 springs fit just fine, unless the 4 banger is the same. Looks like I'm dropping the rear end anyways to do bushings. I'll call around for rear discs.

I don't know hoe true it is but people used to say the 93 cobra had a rear spring rate closer to a 4 cylinder. I do know that 4 cylinder springs was an old track trick to help the car transfer more weight to the rear tires. I've driven v8 cars with 4 cylinder springs and they won't win any handling contests....but the front and rear did ride softer....but the front sat lower than usual.

Did I read somewhere that 94-98 rear ends are disc brakes and will just bolt on in place for 87-93 drums?

They will bolt up, but the wheels will sit wider. The housing brackets for the calipers can also be bolted on a fox 8.8. For the swap to keep the same width as a fox 80s ford ranger 5 lug axles have to be used. With either swap the e brake cables will need to be swapped and the cable handle may need to be modified to work.

They will bolt up, but the wheels will sit wider. The housing brackets for the calipers can also be bolted on a fox 8.8. For the swap to keep the same width as a fox 80s ford ranger 5 lug axles have to be used. With either swap the e brake cables will need to be swapped and the cable handle may need to be modified to work.
3/4" on each side I read. Will that cause problems?

They do. Stock GT 94- 98 wheels will fit without issues. I ran 95 PONY wheels on a Sn95 rear in an 89 convertible. No big issues.

When swapping the rear to the wider track width grab Moroso extended studs for the front hubs $26.00 shipped from American Muscle and a set of hub centric wheel spacers 3/4 inch if using 94- 95 front spindles $49.99 each at CJ Pony Parts.... or if using 96- 04 front spindles 1/2 inch $99.99 a set at LMR. If using 96- 04 front spindles don't forget to buy a bump steer kit and offset rack bushings. I shop around a lot....Late Model Restoration is my go to for most parts and we have a discount code for them.

The Pony wheels and tires used to sit even with the body side molding when looked at from the rear. I've never tried more than a 1/2 inch spacer on the front of a fox with the Pony wheels. My measurements are based on the track width differences and I had 98 front spindles. 94- 95 spindles are 6mm narrower. The extra 2mm would be made up in the rear tire size :rock:

Last edited:
3/4" on each side I read. Will that cause problems?

Depends what wheels you run and backspace/offset.

Factory 17x8's fit pretty flush.

If you want wider, you'll need the axle brackets from north race cars, and fox lenght 5lug axles. Will pull them back in that 3/4".

You also don't need to swap the entire rear. The rear disk brakes from any solid axle 94-04 will work, but you can only use 94-98 5-lug axles with them.

What's the cheapest way to get 4 lug discs in the rear on this 8.8? LMR sells cobra wheels in 4 lug. If you could see the calipers through the wheels I would go 100% cobra, since I can't, it's our secret. Going to spend enough on body panels, wheels and paint which I'm itching to get started on.