1979 pinto bubble window 4 speed in a 67 coupe?

Trent K.

Oct 21, 2019
Hermann, MO
So I'm considering my options for a transmission for my 67 mustang coupe. I have a late 80s turbo thunderbird 5 speed trans that I'm considering putting in the car, or I have a 1979 bubble window pinto with a 4 cyl 4 speed that I could put in the car. I'm looking for opinions on the matter, what would you guys do? The 5 speed is going to give me more options for what gear to be in but the 4 speed is a 4 speed! Not really sure what to do at the moment. Kind of wondering also if the pedal assembly and clutch cable/pedal will come out of the pinto and go into my mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

the four cylinder T5 does fine in low power applications behind a V8. but the pinto four speed definitely wont survive behind the V8. besides the bolt patterns are different and you will be spending more money to adapt the trans to the V8 bell, than you would finding and rebuilding a V8 T5.

I wouldn't advise the 4 speed. Even the beefier 8 cylinder versions in the Mustang II didn't hold up to much power. And, as @rbohm has said, they are different bolt patterns as far as the bell housing is concerned. Many II owners with V8s have swapped to a T5 and are more than happy with them as I think you most likely would be too.

So I have another question related to this. The pinto is a manual obviously, so would I be able to take the pedal assembly or at least the pedals and use them in my mustang? Also, would the clutch linkage parts swap over?

Get 67 clutch pedal, T5, and a MDL clutch cable kit and it will just bout be a bolt on to your 67
No need to reinvent the wheel here

How about a pic of that old bubble window

Get 67 clutch pedal, T5, and a MDL clutch cable kit and it will just bout be a bolt on to your 67
No need to reinvent the wheel here

How about a pic of that old bubble window
That's a lot of money though, that I don't have, I'm just trying to use what I have here. I don't have any pics of it, it's my uncles car. Kinda just sitting outside the shop but I can probably buy parts off of it for cheap that's why I'm trying to figure out if it'll work. If it will work then I can probably spend $75 for a clutch pedal and possibly linkage rather than a few hundred.