1980 Granada - what all can I use?

tjnavyblue

Feb 21, 2007
Hi,

I'm about to purchase a 1980 granada. The owners just did the brakes last week with new rotors and pads but then reverse and park went out so they're selling it. I'm stoked about doing the brake swap this weekend .

Don't know what rear it has, but I'll post pics this weekend to see if ya'll can help ID it for me (hoping to use that too).

Has anyone used the power steering from a Granada in their 67-70 mustang? If it has powerbrakesAnyone used anything else from a Granada I might be interested in knowing? Interior parts? Engine parts?

Anyway, I'm getting the car for $275 with new brakes so I think I'm doing OK. Sorry for posting another thread with 'granada' in the title:D

Tyler

1968 coupe/I6/3speed/American Racing mags/soon to be 5.0 EFI

• Sponsors (?)

I am using a rebuilt power steering control valve from a Granada in my 69 Cougar.

The slave cylinder might work.

The center link from a Granada will not work in a Mustang or Cougar.

If the Grannie has bucket seats they might be usable in an earlier car too. They recline and are very comfortable.

You can use the rear end. May not be a desireable unit though.
I would think that much of the PS could be used. Probably not every link in the steering itself though, like posted above.

I thought about hybriding a Granada tilt column with my Maverick column before.
Probably a little more work on a 68 Stang though, since you would have to delete the key from the column. Still could be done.
Might also be able to integrate the intermittent wiper system if you really wanted this feature.
Lots of little 'this n that' stuff...
If it is a V8 and you have a small block, then the stock electronic ignition is good stuff. The Duraspark ignition really is a good system. It is just a magnetic trigger and will stand alone with an MSD box and good coil. Most aftermarket distributors that are any good are carbon copies if the stock distributor.
Dave

I've got a 76 Granada that's currently a "storage shed" for all the parts off my 69 351c while I'm painting it. I swapped out the disc brakes, the rear end is a lightweight 2:49 ratio POS, even thought it is a V8. The front sway was larger than the stock one on my 69 and was a direct swap.

I plan to use the Duraspark and may try to swap over some of the A/C. I will pull the motor and C4 trans just in case I want to build. The power steering assy complete, less the link. The seats belt retainers that screw under the front headrests, I am using these now in my 69 302 to keep my 3-pt seats belts off my neck. The sunvisors look the same and I will pull most of the light bulbs, horns etc to add to my parts dept.

Thanks guys.

I'm just hopin' the rear end is a good un'.

Also - I'm going to want to get rid of it when I'm done. I'm assuming I can put the Mustang four lug spindles on the Granada to make it rollable right?

Brakes are a favorite, but the hubs are lager, and will cause issues with many vintage stock wheels. I out the brakes on Chepie, worked great!

The motor is a dog.

The hubs can be turned on a brake lathe so they fit old stock-style wheels. Just have 1/8" taken off the OD.

The thick 15/16" front sway bar will work on '67-'70 Mustangs. --I have a Granada sway bar on my '68.

If the rear end has a cover that bolts onto the backside of the housing, then pass on it. Other than that, it could be an 8-inch rear end, a 9-inch rear end with drums, or a 9-inch rear end with disc brakes (same disc brake rear end as Versailles).

www.ultrastang.com

I drove the Granada across the state of Oregon today, and now, finally it's home. I just checked with a flashlight and the rear cover is NOT bolted on. What should I look for to figure out whether it's an 8 or 9 inch? The gas tank is hiding the top half so it's hard to tell what shape it is exactly (in the dark).

Thanks
Tyler

I drove the Granada across the state of Oregon today, and now, finally it's home. I just checked with a flashlight and the rear cover is NOT bolted on. What should I look for to figure out whether it's an 8 or 9 inch? The gas tank is hiding the top half so it's hard to tell what shape it is exactly (in the dark).

Thanks
Tyler

What's the axle code on the door? That would help narrow it down.

Look at the front of the chunk.
There are studs/nuts around the front.
If each and every nut on the front can be accessed with a socket, it is an 8".
If it is a 9", there are one or two of the lower nuts that can only be turned with a wrench.

Also, one of those nut/stud pairs should be holding a tag.
The ratio is noted with some other numbers on that tag.
It will have the first number of the ratio, then a large blank gap, then the last two numbers of the ratio.
Something like this:
2._______79

If it says 2.79, it is an 8"...
A 9" rear would have a ratio like 2.47 or 2.75.
The Granada didn't come with any decent ratios. They are all very tall 'highway' gears. I doubt they were even available with limited slip.
However, if the ratio reads something like:
2.___L____75
The "L" in the middle is for limited slip. (aka TractionLok or Posi)

The axle code is "3"

It looks like all the bolts can be accessed. It's hard to tell because some sort of clamp/u-bolt thing is bolted right on the front of the housing.

So, this must be an 8"?

That would be fantastic.

I know what you are talking about. It is some sort of vibration damper or something... I never really figured it out.
One thing though... I have never seen one of those on an 8".
That doesn't mean they didn't use them on 8"s.
I do know though, that my Granada 9" had one.

I say a 9" would be "fantastic", an 8" is more like "glad it's not the integral!"

Okay - Glad it's not the integral.:)

- you know, it' more the feeling that I bought it sight unseen and I'm glad to find out the rear is usable considering my college budget.

Thanks for your help this evening - I really appreciatte it.

Axle code "3" is an 8" 2.79 open.

Well, I guess 5 lugs and a narrow housing are gravy enough...

Now you gotta find a Pinto/Bobcat/Mustang 2 with some 3.40 or 3.55 gears.
V8 Stang 2s will always have limited slip, but they only came with 3.00 gears.
The other 4 and 6 cylinder versions of those cars are a toss up...
They are almost always open, but with a decent gear.
I have heard that 6 cyl Bobcats almost always had limited slip...
The rears are not what you want, just the chunk out of the center, to swap into your 'new' 8" rear.
Dave

Oh yeah, did I mention "narrow housing"?

The rear in that car is a direct bolt in for your car, no problems there.
However, the overall length is equal to a 65-66 Stang, therefore slightly narrower than a 67-70.
I think it is around .75" shorter per side. (someone will correct if I am off on my measurement)
It's no big deal if you don't have aftermarket rims stuffed under the car.
When you do buy rims, just take into account that they will set further in than a stock 68. Therefore you should check your backspace carefully if you are going for max width rims. They will need to have a little less backspace than other 68s.

Well, I guess 5 lugs and a narrow housing are gravy enough...
The rears are not what you want, just the chunk out of the center, to swap into your 'new' 8" rear.
Dave

What will one of those run in the local u-pull-it?

Also, if I switch out the rear this weekend, will it just bolt right in or do I need some sort of U-joint adaptor for the mustang driveline?