1982 3.3 Auto Notch

cbdallas

Oct 11, 2017
Hey everyone,
Pulled the trigger on a Craigslist Mustang, a very nice, completely stock '82 Notch, 3.3 Auto. Quite literally a little old lady car, 64,000 miles and barely a scratch on it. It has had a re-spray, but it looks to have been done right. Everything else is original. The current owner had been trying to talk this lady into selling for years, and she finally did when it was time to go into assisted living. My impression is that this is just a 'flip' for him.

Definitely not buying it for hot-rod purposes....it's a nostalgic move on my part. (Why else would somone buy such a wildly unpopular drivetrain option?) This car is very nearly an exact twin of my first "car love" when I was 10 years old, my sister's '79 2.3 Auto Notch. There's a few minor differences, but it's got that same Polar White on Red scheme that I remember fondly. Likely the only change I will make are the wheels. I'm torn between going full-on nostalgia and getting some period-correct wire wheel covers, or upgrading to some TRX replicas. It'll also be getting a new dash cap, as this one is sun warped.

I'm a complete novice to this engine, so just wanted to reach out to see if anyone has any "heads up" they'd like to offer. I've heard and read exactly ZERO about this engine, so any input would be appreciated.

I'm supposed to pick it up on 1/27 and drive it from Nashville to Dallas. I'm wondering if I should have it shipped instead. Thoughts? The owner says he's been driving it all over town and it runs like a top. He's had no indication that there's anything wrong, and I haven't seen any reason not to believe him.

Bring on the comments and tips!

Attachments

• 82-1.JPG
    82-1.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 82-2.JPG
    82-2.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

It'll definitely be getting tires, hoses and belts, thermostat and all fluids replaced when I get it back to Dallas. Better wheels too.

He talked briefly about tires last night, but didn't mention an age. He did mention that one of them is a different brand. They're getting replaced as soon as I decide on wheels, so if they can just hold together for a 10 hour drive, a big part of their duties will be behind them.

Nice find. A set of 16" TRX replica wheels from LMR would look really good on that car. You should be able to find information on that engine it is the same as the 200 six in used Mustangs, Mavericks, and other cars for a really long time. The hard part will be dealing with the smog hardware that comes on something that vintage, with its miles of vacuum lines and check valves. Depending on where you live, you may be able to can that stuff.

One my friends had a inline six 79 hatch back in the early ninties, we had a lot of fun with that car. That engine and tranny combo is really hard to kill. Lord knows, we sure tried.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice find. A set of 16" TRX replica wheels from LMR would look really good on that car. You should be able to find information on that engine it is the same as the 200 six in used Mustangs, Mavericks, and other cars for a really long time. The hard part will be dealing with the smog hardware that comes on something that vintage, with its miles of vacuum lines and check valves. Depending on where you live, you may be able to can that stuff.

One my friends had a inline six 79 hatch back in the early ninties, we had a lot of fun with that car. That engine and tranny combo is really hard to kill. Lord knows, we sure tried.

That's great news! Thank you for your input.

I'd just go through the car and replace old rubber vac lines and hoses and clean it up in general. The car is 35 years old, and all it takes is a few dry rotted vac lines creating a leak to give you trouble.

Tune up, oil change, and replace various filters and sensors (with ford parts if you can find them). Replace vac lines, address leaks, stary to paint and clean

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone on here actually knows anything about that engine, I am going to be properly impressed. Congratulations on your purchase. I don't think I have seen a 3.3 Mustang on this website in the decade and a half I have been here.

Kurt

Thanks, Kurt. That's strange. It's become a very common sight during my search for a first-gen Fox. There was even a brief article written about a 3.3 Notch that an automotive journalist found in a Denver junkyard. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/junkyard-find-1979-ford-mustang-coupe/ It's brand new territory for me, since my exposure has been limited to 2.3 and 5.0. I don't hear many good things about it, performance-wise. "Drinks gas like a 5.0, puts out the power of a 2.3" was the most notable comment. As long as it doesn't sling pistons all over the highway on my drive home from Nashville, I'll be happy.

Reactions: 4 users