1983 Mustang GT

HopperT

Jan 5, 2020
Cincinnati Ohio
I have a question about the decals on my car. My mustang is an 1983 GT, but im confused on why my car doesn't have any GT decals on the outside? Inside the car it has a GT on the glove box, but nothing on the fenders or hood, I look at other cars online and they all have the GT stickers. All I have is the 5.0 emblems. I have no clue if a previous owner took them off or if some just didn't have them? This is my first car and Im really wanting to get it done right, Ive rebuilt the engine myself and now Im just trying to figure out the cosmetic work so I can take it to a few shows this year.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Sponsors (?)

If it is a 1983 GT, then yes, you should have the "GT" stickers above the 5.0 emblems on the fenders, at the front of the hood in the blacked out section, and then on the trunk lid after "MUSTANG". The colors of the decals depended on the color of the car. Why they aren't on there is anyone's guess, but it could be that a previous owner removed them, or the car may have been repainted and new ones were never put back on.

There are a number of GLX's out there that have been mis identified as GT's (my own included). Mainly because most auto supply dealers don't identify the GLX with the 5.0 engine only the GT's so many believe if it has the 5.0 it has to be a GT. In fact in my research there were around 6500 GT's & GLX's with the 5.0 in 1983 and only 1001 of them were GT's
I suggest contacting Marti Auto Works, they have all the production data for just about every Ford built since the 2nd World War. You can buy a package giving all the production details on your car including how unique it may be from your VIN. Who knows you might be pleasantly surprised. I know I was :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
83GLXVert said:
In fact in my research there were around 6500 GT's & GLX's with the 5.0 in 1983 and only 1001 of them were GT's
The numbers your talking about are for convertibles only. There were less than 6400 5.0L convertibles build for the 1983 Model year. According to Marti Auto Works there were 993 GT convertibles built for the 1983 model year.

83GLXVert said:
I suggest contacting Marti Auto Works, they have all the production data for just about every Ford built since the 2nd World War.
Marti Auto Works does not have Ford's production data for model years older than 1967. Ford Motor Company destroyed all of the pre-1967 model year data, so nobody has it.

Last edited:
I see a hood scoop over a factory punched hole in the hood, in the pic attached. That was a GT only item in the 1983 model year. GT emblem on the dash is obviously a GT only item.

Factory buck tag and possibly - depending on production date - factory door tag would have GT only codes on them if it is one. I can decode those tags if you post them.

• Useful
The numbers your talking about are for convertibles only. There were less than 6400 5.0L convertibles build for the 1983 Model year. According to Marti Auto Works there were 993 GT convertibles built for the 1983 model year.

You are correct there were less than 6400 5.0 Convertibles built that year but there were only 993 GT Convertibles available for sale to the public. I also learned through research that 8 GT's were made not to be sold and were used as Crash Test Vehicles making the total production to 1001

Marti Auto Works does not have Ford's production data for model years older than 1967. Ford Motor Company destroyed all of the pre-1967 model year data, so nobody has it.

At the bottom of the page of the Marti Auto Works Documentation that I have in my possession has the following:
"For Mustang, Thunderbird, Cougar, Falcon, Fairlane, Lincoln, Torino, and other Ford Products from 1949-2017" for individual car & truck production data
"For Mustang, Thunderbird, Cougar, Falcon, Fairlane, Lincoln, Torino, and other Ford Products from 1950-2017" for data based on options production numbers

Deluxe reports say "... Products 1949-..." They do not say "... Reports 1949-..."

Personalized stats reports say "... Products 1950-..." They do not say "... Reports 1950-..."

Marti Auto Works makes reproduction parts also. They don't just do reports.

Last edited:
  • Useful
There were 993 GT convertibles. Not 1001. The were not eight (1001 minus 993) "sent to Canada". There were not eight "crash test vehicles".

• Informative