1985 gt convertible striker post nut fell off.

Myfirstgt

Oct 9, 2023
Fla
Hi all. Just got a sweet 85 gt with 26,000 original miles. Never been driven in the rain and always garage kept. The passenger side door post nut and holding bracket is missing. the post is stuck in the hole but can be pulled right out. There is an extra washer and a nut on the threads of the post, but it doesn’t hold it in the hole. Is there any way to fasten the post pack on the jamb so the door will close properly?

• Sponsors (?)

Capture nut and what it was sitting in are not there. It’s just a hole. The car looks like it just came off the show room floor. I really don’t understand why that stuff wouldn’t still be there. Must not of been welded on good.

Reactions: 1 user
The hole isn’t that big. I can see in the hole. Can’t see down the jamb like where it would have fell to. I could probably get a scope cam in there. Will the inside panel at the back seat pop off and gain access to that area behind the jamb?

I bet that "nut" is just down at the bottom of the jamb. That inside trim panel can sometimes be pulled back a little at the bottom, and with some dexterity and a not-large hand, you may be able to squeeze in there and grab it. Watch the sharp sheet metal edges though! Removing the rear seat bottom may help. Getting it back in place may be a whole 'nother issue. Don't know, but you may need to remove that interior trim panel completely for that part.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes that trim panel on that side should have some access to the lower area, take the seat out, remove the trim on that side, there are openings that should allow you to get to it.
Easy fix, a piece of flat steel with a nut welded, spray some etching primer on it and whatever rattle can paint handy, you could glue it with panel bond or JBWeld to hold it but adjust the striker for proper door closing.
show a pic of the hole.