1986 got some turbo questions.

So first thing, I'm new to the mustang world, I came from the import side of things. I picked up a 1986 5.0 notchback, and I'm going to start a street turbo build. I'm wondering what I'll need, besides the obvious. I know I will need the main stuff (turbo, manifolds, piping, wastegate, etc..) I just need the minor stuff sensors, ECM, all the goodies like that. Just need steered in the right direction.

• Sponsors (?)

Jack stands. Really nice ones that you like the look of.

I personally, like these:

1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
*The king says to his 15th century explorer.......

"Ive given you the basics......a ship, a crew, food and water to last for a year........I need you to sail until you either reach the new world, or fall off the earth..... whichever comes first."
The explorer replies "I got ya chief,....... just steer me in the right direction"

Asking to be steered in the right direction before taking on a turbo build is about the same as above...... its a monumental undertaking.

fuel supply, engine management, hardware selection, who does it, who can do it, who has done it, what do I need, why wont it, are all questions you need to answer before you ever start down the path.

Seriously though, what Mike says up-top is true. I know you've heard a thousand stories about how someone slapped an ebay turbo kit on car X and made one point twenty-one gigahorsepowerz with it but what you often don't get to hear about is the amount of time that turbo kit spent breaking.

If you want and OEM reliable turbo system, you will of course need to plan accordingly.

What we need to move forward:

A list of all of your current mods
Horse Power goal
Intended use (street, track, other)
What do you intend to $pend
How long do you intend for this project to take

Of course, you're going to need tools and a place to work where the car can sit for several days to several weeks (depending on the build).