MercRS

Jan 15, 2003
Chicago,IL
86 mclaren capri 5.0 5spd
I followed the checklist it will not run it barely will idle at 50 rpm dies
If you rev motor it breaks up bad will not go past 2k rpm
New computer,had a good extra upper intake replaced vacuum lines
No codes iac is new nothing is working
The only way it runs if you pull vacuum to bap sensor (speed density)
Then it idles and revs fine but I think it runs rich with bap vacuum wide open leak.
The converter glows.
Checked injectors all good

• Sponsors (?)

Notice that I changed my post :doh: Changing the 02s will likely not help but get some new ones anyway, your gonna need them when you get it running right.
You didn't mention fuel pressure.
go back over the list, do it step by step.
any modifications?

Last edited:
86 mclaren capri 5.0 5spd
I followed the checklist it will not run it barely will idle at 50 rpm dies
If you rev motor it breaks up bad will not go past 2k rpm
New computer,had a good extra upper intake replaced vacuum lines
No codes iac is new nothing is working
The only way it runs if you pull vacuum to bap sensor (speed density)
Then it idles and revs fine but I think it runs rich with bap vacuum wide open leak.
The converter glows.
Checked injectors all good

You say the car is speed density? Are you certain that you have the correct sensor installed? You should have a MAP for speed density:

You say the car is speed density? Are you certain that you have the correct sensor installed? You should have a MAP for speed density:

Shouldn't matter. My MAF-swapped '88 is still using the original MAP with the vac line removed. Runs well

Glowing cat, and running better with MAP unplugged is a clue that something is up with the air/fuel mix. You should be at least getting a code for that though.

You are getting three code 11's? two with engine off, and one code 11 with engine running?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@MercRS

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Last edited: