1987 fox 2.3 5speed to Auto swap

deadonarrival

Dec 5, 2003
AZ
What is required to swap to an auto trans do you have to change the computer etc? I am debating whether it would be better to do the swap or sell the car and by a car with the auto trans. Not looking for anything other than daily driver to get from point A to B without having to constantly shift gears in traffic.

• Sponsors (?)

if you could find one in about the smae or better shape, selling & buying would be the best way to go, IMHO. there'd be no ECU changes but i think some good modification for the shifter would be needed(unless that's when you go from auto-to-5spd). i'm sure someone else will help, too.

you'll need an auto tranny and bellhousing for a 2.3 I would believe...umm Auto Gas and brake pedals...The shifter comes on the tranny I think...

I have all this that I would do a complete trade with you for ...I have an auto in my car now...I'm looking for a standard...but you are in Arizona and I am in Canada...There's our only problem

Going by the 89 mustang I have. I went to c-4 from the factory 4 speed auto. Computer is differant for the 4th speed auto and I think lockup of convertor. There is a extra wire at bellhousing area. Does your radiator have oil cooler lines or put in separate cooler. Differant flywheel forgot what it is called on auto. Need vacumn line to trans. Driveshaft differant on 4 speed auto. Don't know about wiring differance at trans for neutral start and backup lights. Shifter should bolt into floorboard. You will have to put in jumper for the switch on the clutch pedal. Almost forgot the cable from throttle to trans has to be adjusted properly [search net or here] or trans will fail almost immediately.[ from what I have read]