1987 gt compared to 1988/1989

Redeemedsoul

Sep 4, 2005
Hey all just got a 1987 gt, I have been reading a few books i purchased and was wondering what exactly is the difference between the 87's speed density compared to 88/89 MAF.. When i would go to purchase my intake/manifold and throttle body would i be buying seperate parts, really confused.

Also should i switch over to MAF to make life a little easier?
How would that be done?

I tried to search but couldnt come up with specifics. :shrug:

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

make any mod you want (except a power adder) with SD, just be careful with the cam selection if you change it - no need to go MAF really, but a bunch of people will tell you to do it anyway.

Speed Density uses the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor to determine how much air is entering the engine and then determines how much fuel to inject. MAF or Mass Air Flow uses a MAF sensor in the intake air tubing to determine the amount of air entering the engine and then determines how much fuel to inject. Either one will work well with basic mods. MAF engines seem to be able to compensate for more radical cams easier than SD. Although, many aftermarket companies like F.A.S.T. use SD setups for there stand alone system rather than MAF. I would stay with the SD for now unless you start running into driveability issues.

I personally think that stock vs stock, SD cars feel crisper and have better throttle response. There's way too many variables to deduce this being endemic to SD cars, but it is MHO. I'm a big fan of SD in general.

P.S. Tom, Wes said the intake looks great!

Thanks for all the info, right now im looking into a GT-40 Upper and lower, possible AFR 185 or GT40 Heads, 70mm TB and a CAI, maybe some bigger injectors something in the 20's range(#24lb/hr).

No cam choice yet not sure what would work, F cam or E cam or something else.
Thanks!