1988 Mustang Gt, Hard To Start When Warm

• Sponsors (?)

Did you check the computer ground behind the battery? Also did you check the ground for the 02 sensors before you remove the computer to check it out?

12 volts on pin 46 means that you probably have an Auto transmission O2 sensor harness in a car with an A9L computer.

You get to crawl under the car and you will find the harness that connects the O2 sensors to the main wiring harness.

The drawing below has the part numbers & my previous post with O2 Sensor harness interchange and modification has more details. Look for the part numbers on the tag.

mustangO2Harness.gif

Attachments

• ground.jpg
    ground.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 169
  • 56567d1230679358-positive-negative-battery-cable-questions-86-93-mustang-oem-style-ground-cable.gif
    56567d1230679358-positive-negative-battery-cable-questions-86-93-mustang-oem-style-ground-cable.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
12 volts on pin 46 means that you probably have an Auto transmission O2 sensor harness in a car with an A9L computer.

You get to crawl under the car and you will find the harness that connects the O2 sensors to the main wiring harness.

The drawing below has the part numbers & my previous post with O2 Sensor harness interchange and modification has more details. Look for the part numbers on the tag.

mustangO2Harness.gif
Dude thanks a lot. I'm going to check the grounds at the battery and the one that the computer hooks in a min. I will also try and verify what O2 harness I have. I really appreciate all your help man!!!!

Lol, new update. So I moved the purple wire to the top. Is this all that is needed to correct the auto harness?
a8ccd10ec442079c3960cdd96f2d4de7.jpg

I'm still getting 12 volts to pin 46 after swapping the one wire? So is there more to the auto harness than the one jumper? I have no problems buying a new harness just wanna make sure before I spend 100$

Lol, new update. So I moved the purple wire to the top. Is this all that is needed to correct the auto harness?
a8ccd10ec442079c3960cdd96f2d4de7.jpg

I'm still getting 12 volts to pin 46 after swapping the one wire? So is there more to the auto harness than the one jumper? I have no problems buying a new harness just wanna make sure before I spend 100$

This is the information I have:

Originally Posted by 302EFI

Revised 16-Oct-2011 to add O2 sensor harness warnings
The wires for the 02's and low oil did not change throughout the years, they are all in the same place.
The main ones you need to worry about are (on the harness end (ECU) that plugs into the 02 plug) is:
\- 1. Light blue / yellow
- 2. White / Purple
- 3. Purple / Yellow
The White/Purple & Purple/Yellow gets looped for a automatic ECU
The Purple/Yellow & Light blue/Yellow for a manual ECU

See http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...manual-auto-differences-year-differences.html for more O2 sensor wiring harness info

This is the information I have:

Originally Posted by 302EFI

Revised 16-Oct-2011 to add O2 sensor harness warnings
The wires for the 02's and low oil did not change throughout the years, they are all in the same place.
The main ones you need to worry about are (on the harness end (ECU) that plugs into the 02 plug) is:
\- 1. Light blue / yellow
- 2. White / Purple
- 3. Purple / Yellow
The White/Purple & Purple/Yellow gets looped for a automatic ECU
The Purple/Yellow & Light blue/Yellow for a manual ECU

See http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...manual-auto-differences-year-differences.html for more O2 sensor wiring harness info
Hey thanks, I have searching all night for a thread on what wires need to be switched but not coming up with any good leads. My eyes are almost crossed from reading all night. Guess I will buy the correct harness