1989 Saleen Brake Upgrades (5lug Already)

Skyman

Jan 18, 2016
Hi Guys,

I just bought back my 1989 Saleen I had 15 years ago. It's in rough shape. The suspension is completely shot, someone cut the springs and did all kinds of stupid things. So I need to deal with that as well

I want to get it to handle nicely and hook up as it will be making some good power. I don't want to brake the bank and have been looking at options from several manufacturers but am not totally sure beyond coil overs were to invest the money. I'd like to take it to the track sometime and have brakes that wouldn't fade coming down from 130+mph.

I'd like to stay under $800 or close to it max. But open to suggestions here. Given I have a 5 lug setup currently on the car from the factory what is the best way to go. All I can seem to see is 13" rotors up front.

I would really like to have some powerful braking once I get the suspension dialed in.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Best bang for the buck is the 13" cobra swap. Not sure what it has on it now. 99 twin piston sn calipers are great for street use but if you plan on racing the car then I would skip those.

I can run several 20 minute track day sessions with stock brake system with some carbon metallic pads on front and don't get any fade. They aren't very good for street use, gotta heat them up a bit.

Last edited:
I've been doing the research on brake swaps. You need to see what is on there now. The cobra brake swap requires SN95 spindles. I don't think the Fox Saleen used compatible spindles. You won't need to get new rear axles, but you might still need to take them out to get the right bracket in there. Not sure, google fox body cobra brake conversion and there's page after page of info.

http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/foxbody5lug-discbrake.html