1990 Fox With 1980 302 Accessory Bracket?

Jmbradley

Feb 19, 2015
Hi I'm new to the forum and no I did not search normally I would but I'm in a kinda time crunch. I'm going to look at and possibly buy a 1990 lx notch back. The car has 1980 302 engine in it. The owner says it needs both the alternator and power steering brackets replaced. I have found a few on summit and jegs. He has the accessories (alternator and power steering pump) from the 1990 engine that would be used. What I need to know is what brackets should I be looking for? He said he tried using the 1990 5.0 brackets but they cracked and through the serpentine belt. Also would I be able to use the factory specified serpentine belt for the 1990 5.0 even though it is a 1980 302 engine.
Thank you in advanced.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like someone did a half assed job of replacing the engine.
First thing i'd do is make sure that the engine is a roller block. Do a little research but I believe 1980 blocks were not.
Second thing is that the brackets are flat steel, I've never heard of one cracking, ever...
Bending if misaligned, maybe, but I find it unlikely one cracked.

Really sounds like a rigged up car. Unless it's super nice and super cheap, i'd walk.
If he got some of the simplest things wrong, who knows how badly he screwed up the more difficult tasks.

You may also want to run the vin and see if the car was originally a v8. Sounds like a v8 swap into a 4cyl car, I wouldn't be surprised if you said the car was carbeurated, if it is, don't walk, run.

The 1980 will be a flat tapper block, but should not be a relevant issue. i would want the brackets from all either 1980, or 87 -93. I do not have a Hollander exchange, but the 90 brackets and 90 accessories should be a fine match.

You will need the matching pullies as well as i beleive prior to 1984 the mustang was using V-belts.

Basically find a photo of a 1986+ Mustang 5.0 engine. You want those bracketrs and pullies.

My 79 5.0 had a serpentine set up from the factory. So that should not be an issue. I hope the accessories have the 90 pulleys, but that is an important part of the set up.

If all parts match, it should not be a big problem at all.

Can someone review the parts letter and numbering system to help him make sure what he is getting? For example, 1987 is E7 at the start, but I can not remember the rest at the moment.

Need a pic of the engine...specifically current accessory setup and pullies.

From the pic though, it looks like the later 6-rib pulley system was used.

BTW, IIRC, the 5.0 alt/PS bracket is cast, and frequently has marks on them that appear like "cracks". In reality, unless involved in a vehicle crash, pretty hard to break that thing.

Did you find out if it was originally a v8 car?
Do you truly want a carbuerated mustang? Most people looking at an 86-93 mustang do not want a carb.
The carb seriously hurts value and resale, so does no AC and a red interior (from the pic interior looks to be red through back window) and not being an original v8.
How is the paint up close? I have a lack of faith in any paint job that they paint the window trim the same color as the car.

These things are more important than a few minor mechanical issues. The bracket thing is no big deal, but it does lead me to believe the car was just slapped together.

How much is he asking? Is there physically no belt on it right now?
Don't rush into it. If it was a great deal, it would have been sold already.

Last edited:
it was originally a v8 car Idc about all the little bs. I was simply asking about the bracket set up. carb or not doesn't bother me. I'm getting the car for 2k originally listed for 3500, but the guy had a few injuries and is back on bills. myself and another tech I work with are going to look at it. I work on cars for living and used to work for Ford. I appreciate everyone's input. I was just trying to get an idea of things before I even go to look at the car. I made a deal with the guy he was asking 2500 and I told him I had cash. the brackets need to be addressed and the rear main seal which is cake to do.

haha no. my main attraction is the body work and paint job and yes I know from pictures its hard to tell if its good or not. body work is not my strong suit. mechanical and interior im great with. I don't plan to leave the red in the car. but my main concern to get the car on the road is the bracket set up and replacing the rear main seal.