Roush 1990 saleen wheels, need quick answers

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
a guy i know at work is possibly going to sell me these wheels. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/370043 ( this isnt his car but the rims that are on this one are the ones he has) one of the wheels has a dented lip ( can be repaired....cost???) and he is missing three of the center caps. he is asking $800 for the rims and tires,( tires still good) thanks in advance guys let me know if i should buy them or not!!!

Joel:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

set on e bay

JMD. There has been a duplicate set on e bay for weeks, complete with new tires, and they are completely refinished.

When you add up your purchase cost, fix them and add new tires, I think you would be ahead by buying a set that somepne is having to dump. They can rarely recover their investment.

Just a thought.

Dan

Missing 3 center caps and decals is bad, likely cost you $100 just to replace them.
Rim repair is going to be like $150+2 way shipping.
I had a place fix one of mine (of the same rims you are looking at) and make it worse, in fact make the rim worthless.

Tires still good is a little vague of a description, but if they land up being mediocre you lose yet more money.

The set footfan is talking about look to be mint. If you are serious about your saleen and you desire those rims they would be the way to go.
Although they are fairly expensive, i'd say $1200 would be a better price, then again, he may have you by the balls.

I sold a set of those rims that were in fair condition.
They were unpainted (i stripped them). There were 2 deep dish rears (one moderately damaged) both 8.5 wide, one 8.5 rear that was not deep, and 2 fronts. I would of rated them a 6 out of 10. Had all center caps with decals on them. Sold them for around $500.

hmm i went over last night and saw the rims and the tires still have about 75% of the tread and the one that has the dented lip the tire still holds air. how hard would it be to paint them? ( theyre the gray color but im still curious anyway) and how hard would it be to find center caps?

Center caps seem to be hit or miss on ebay. Unless one of these guys has another source.

For the most part i've watched them and they seem to run about $30 a cap. The saleen decals are a whole other story. They may cost you up to $100.

IMO, email the guy with the nicer set on ebay. Footfan says they have been on for a while, so he's likely coming to the conclusion that he's asking too much.
Might be able to swing a deal with him.

Painting and stripping them is a bitch to say the least. I'd did it a few times over the years. Taping them is likely the hardest part.
If i could do it again, i just would of had them completely polished, i've seen them that way, and they look badass. So if you get the messed up set, that's what i would do.

It's at $900 with the reserve met. I think you'd be looking at about $1500 since they are NIB.

Makes me miss mine, even though i couldn't use them anymore.