Paint and Body 1991 mustang ssp questions

I have a 1991 ssp that has been repainted. My question is did they repaint ssp cars after the government got them or did they order them in the color from the factory? Also undercover cars did they come in any color?
the reason I ask is because my car was originally color code EM I believe.

• Sponsors (?)

They all came in factory colors. No custom paint was done by Ford that I know of. Any specific paint schemes were done by the agency that bought the car. Your car was medium red as you probably know.

Chris

Reactions: 1 user
SSP cars weren't just used for patrol cars. It could have been detectives, supervisor, fire chief, or any other public servant with a compliant purchasing department.

It's hard to say what they used it for. Could have been many different things. But I assure you, when it was delivered to South Carolina it was red...factory red. What color is it now? Who knows how many times it has been painted.

This is mine and my friends SSP's....exactly how they were delivered to Windward Ford from the factory except for the pony rims.. His was Silver, mine is Royal Blue. Both SSP cars.

DXbrwd.jpg

Chris

I believe it was a South Carolina ssp which from what I can tell their cars were silver. So it was a under cover maybe?

Just adding a little info, specifically about SSP cars for SCHP. The silver you're talking about was a special order paint (their own "unique" shade of silver), and was primarily for marked cars. As such there would be a series of numbers for the paint code IIRC. SCHP ordered a number of standard colors for unmarked cars though. They were outfitted the same but without anything on the exterior other than an antenna and were used just like the marked cars....though a little more stealthy if you weren't paying attention!. We had several (unmarked) that operated around the Charleston area. Though not in the area, I certainly recall a twilight blue SCHP unmarked that was always running radar on US Hwy 17 on the SC side of the state line after leaving Savannah. I'd see him almost every weekend when I drove home to Charleston...not in my rear mirror though.

Just curious how you know the original department of the car, buck tag?

SCHP SSPs with 'two-tone' special paint were a combination of "fleet grey" and regular production color.

These were the special paint color codes on the door tag:
1989 = W2813 M6062
1990 = W2813 M6330
1991 = W2813 M6401
1992 = W2813 M6401

W2813 = Fleet Grey
M6062 = regular production color Light Grey (1K)
M6330 = regular production color Light Titanium Clearcoat Metallic (YF)
M6401 = regular production color Titanium Frost Clearcoat Metallic (YX)

The DSO buck tag only said...

PAINT SPECIAL GREY
W2813

The fleet paint color option makes sense, but I don't think the Ford factory did the black nose, white doors, black rear quarters type schemes like CHP did they? Maybe they did?

Chris

Yes, they did. They painted CHP cars all White first, then taped off and did Black. Same for FHP...whole car Cream first, taped off, then Black. And TxDPS. And GSP. And...

Lighter color first. Darker color second, covering the lighter color, on the specified parts of the body.

Last edited:
I was told when I bought my car it was from sc and was a ssp. I believe I have the car fax to verify that. But the color in the engine bay is medium red. The car has been repainted more then once. So if the department ordered a special color did they do the engine bays as well?

You can get a marti report and it will tell you everything about your car. Your cars body tag (drivers door) says EM Medium red right? If it does, that would be the color the car was painted at the factory. Based on some of the information posted above it appears ford painted some of the ssp with special colors but it was noted on the body tags. Your car based on your body tag appears to have left the factory red. What happened after that paint wise would be anyones guess.

Like mentioned get a Marti report. Mine was previously a FHP SSP. Which was black/tan.

It's been repainted all black at one point in time I believe. Then true blue.

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_130508359.jpg
    IMG_20200528_130508359.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 90
Buck tag has a paint code, and they are a little hard to hide the codes by painting over them. Plus if it were an SSP the DSO buck tag would say so. No guessing or speculating where it originally served.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users