Engine 1992 mustang oil pan capacity with and without filter change

Blucifer99

I only understand every 3rd word
Jul 15, 2018
Port Mcnicoll Ontario
Ok ive searched everywhere and got so many conflicting answers its ridiculous....
How many quarts does a stock 5.0l oil pan hold.. Forget about the 5 with filter change.. not everyone changes theyre filters every oil change..
so im asking for a short and sweet answer on how many quarts the pan holds WITHOUT changing the filter..

also my dipstick is off like many others cause fords stupid.. and i would like to kno the proper amount so i can make new marks on my dipstick because my low oil light WILL NOT WORK for some reason... so id like to figure out what the proper amount is so i can do so...

Thank you and please dont babble on about something other then what i asked.. cause on many threads that i have read people just ramble on and give 5 conflicting answers to the simple questions being asked

• Sponsors (?)

Oil capacity with stock oil pan is 5 quarts including the filter. Without the filter it is 4 quarts.
When you change the oil be sure to remove the drain plugs and drain both front and rear sumps.

The dipstick is a bigger liar than most fishermen that I have met.

Drain both front & rear sumps, put the drain plugs back in. Then change the filter and add 4 quarts oil. Start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 4 quart level.

Add the 5th quart, start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level; it won't be anywhere near the factory full marks. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 5 quart level, which is about 1" above the factory full mark.

Now that jrichker has answered that question time for some babbling
why would you change your oil but not the filter?
Or: who changes their oil and not the filter?
like changing your shoes and not your socks, unless you don't wear any socks, in that case just forget I asked.

Now that jrichker has answered that question time for some babbling
why would you change your oil but not the filter?
Or: who changes their oil and not the filter?
like changing your shoes and not your socks, unless you don't wear any socks, in that case just forget I asked.

I do that. I dont bother changing my filter everytime. I do it every second oil change. I change my oil every 3000k. So why do the filter when they last longer.. Not everyones the same as u and wastes the money on a filter when ur tossing a half used one..

I do that. I dont bother changing my filter everytime. I do it every second oil change. I change my oil every 3000k. So why do the filter when they last longer.. Not everyones the same as u and wastes the money on a filter when ur tossing a half used one..

Plus if u have a rebuilt motor. Chances are the oil is still running clean. Like mine is. So no need to waste a filter until the second oil change

Oh and when i change my oil my cars on ramps at a very steep angle so i dont have to pull the front plug. I still do but not much oil comes out the front because of the angle my car is... Then when im ready to fill it with oil. I roll my car off the ramps so its completely level..

Reactions: 1 user
I change my oil and filter around 5k, the quality of oil is a lot different than in the old crude oil days, still a filter change I think is a good idea with new oil, and a filter is cheap, and I never use fram filters.
Not everyones the same as u and wastes the money on a filter when ur tossing a half used one..
Not everyone's the same as you and thinks a quart of used oil and a half used oil filter is ok to mix with new stuff.
Thank you and please dont babble on about something other then what i asked.. cause on many threads that i have read people just ramble on and give 5 conflicting answers to the simple questions being asked
these 'conflicting answers' are likely opinions, don't take it hard, it's not personal.
Oh, and I will babble on about things, I'm very good at it!

Plus if u have a rebuilt motor. Chances are the oil is still running clean. Like mine is. So no need to waste a filter until the second oil change
Filters are cheap insurance when compared to the cost and trouble of repairing the damage that could have been prevented by simply changing the filter at the proper interval.

To quote the old farmer's words "You pays your money and you takes your choice"

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe relatable?

In the manual for my DD,a 9th Gen V6 Accord,Honda recommends a filter change EVERY OTHER oil change.I will admit,it's very hard not to change it out at every change at anywhere from 8-10,000 miles,but the filter does become more efficient.
Having sent samples to BlackStone for analysis with just under 17,000 miles on a SINGLE filter change,it has shown a few thousand more miles is still possible,but I change the oil yearly before those kind of miles would be reached.

I'm baffled by this 2 drain plugs on the oil pan. When I did my first change very little came out the plug at the front so I thought oh crap. I gotta put more oil in this thing so it doesn't seize. What a weird design.

I'm baffled by this 2 drain plugs on the oil pan. When I did my first change very little came out the plug at the front so I thought oh crap. I gotta put more oil in this thing so it doesn't seize. What a weird design.

The mark the factory put on my dipstick for both my 92 and 93 were 1qt low. Maybe yours is also wrong and that could explain why such a small amount of oil came out your front drain plug