1993 Cobra R

The problem is not that it can't be done. The problem is that nobody at Ford is going to authorize a one-off fix that doesn't meet the specification of the car. There's not some dude sitting at Ford, taking phone calls, and engineering end-to-end warrantable replacement solutions for something that they might be out of.

Now, I can believe that an owner might pay someone to make this swap for them or perhaps Henry Ford had a close personal relationship with said 93 Cobra owner that was documented in the blood of virgins before he died :shrug: Both are more plausible than a Ford dealership sending someone home with a warranted car repair that doesn't meet the OEM specification. As a matter of incident, I'm not even certain that it would be legal. At the very least, it would need a Federal CARB emissions exemption or not be legal to drive in all 50 states.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it is hard to believe, but real non the less. All 5100 GT40 Cobra motors were spoken for at the time. The had no spares, they did have the 351 from the Lightning Program.

I think Ford was big enough, even then, that if they needed just one more motor, they would have “found one”. In addition to all the other comments made in regards to production. Impossible? No.
Extremely low probability? Absolutely yes.

There is a little more to a real cobra R than wheels and brakes, regardless the op has not been back, it's really pretty easy to prove the cars actual worth, it's also pointless to discuss this further here, he apparently is not buying it anyway.
Quite a few things are different from a 1993 Cobra, Double adjustable Yellow Koni's, 750/850 lb./in. progressive-rate coil springs,240/260 lb./in. progressive-rate coil springs , R Stablizers, R spindles, Oil Cooler, Power steering Cooler, LX seats, R Radiator, reinforced underneath, modified rear quarters to accommodate R wheels, X bracing, R strut tower Brace, purge tank. R deleted part: Air Conditioner, Sound Deadener, Power Mirrors, Wheels Liners, Fog Lights, Rear Seat, Rear Carpet, Roll-up Cargo Cover for the Hatch, Radio, Speakers, Wiring, and Antenna were all gone.

Attachments

• part 2.JPG
    part 2.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 78
  • part1.JPG
    part1.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 105
  • part3.JPG
    part3.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 77
  • part4.JPG
    part4.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 71
  • part5.JPG
    part5.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 79
I think Ford was big enough, even then, that if they needed just one more motor, they would have “found one”. In addition to all the other comments made in regards to production. Impossible? No.
Extremely low probability? Absolutely yes.
I understand why everyone says it unreal. I will post some pictures..
I do not see a 351W on any of those pages.

What I do see is a list of R specific parts that someone has hand-filled the nomenclature.

Correct, the keeper let go and dropped a valve into a piston at 225 miles, there was no warranty on any R only emissions.... The dealer could not source a 1993 Cobra GT40 Motor. So they put in a 351 Lightning motor, swap headers and a cowl Hood. I will post some pictures..

I understand why everyone says it unreal. I will post some pictures..

Correct, the keeper let go and dropped a valve into a piston at 225 miles, there was no warranty on any R only emissions.... The dealer could not source a 1993 Cobra GT40 Motor. So they put in a 351 Lightning motor, swap headers and a cowl Hood. I will post some pictures..

I would prefer Ford documentation that indicates this replacement was performed at the behest of Ford. Otherwise, we have no way of knowing where the conversion came from other than a cool story from the owner.

This car would have to be a steal of a price to buy
People with R type of money are picky and rightfully so.
So if you were to buy it and later want to sell it, all the same issues you will use to get it cheaper are going to be used against you.

This particular car will be really hard to price. I for one wouldn't buy it for a cent more than I thought I could sell it for.

And in 93 I find it hard to believe a ford dealer was doing 351 swaps.
I did not want the car to sit outside for weeks.....The car was never for offered for sale, I told the body shop that last R sold for 132K, This was to impress on them that it was a not normal Foxbody. The owner said he does not like Mustangs and is a diehard Mopar guy.

I paid $8400 for this car 20 years ago....
billos.JPG

I would prefer Ford documentation that indicates this replacement was performed at the behest of Ford. Otherwise, we have no way of knowing where the conversion came from other than a cool story from the owner.

I had the car for 20 years, drove it on the streets, track and solo 2. I figured it was time to get it painted was all. I never said my car was worth more then the 132K that sold last year. It is insured for 45k. It was never offered for sale.

It is a very wild tale, but I did not need any proof 20 years ago paying 8400 dollars for a real R. That came with the original motor and a explanation.

All I can show is R #13 that I paid $8400 in 2000, I Sold my garage trophy 3k mile 93 for $16.5 a few weeks later. I really wanted a driver.

If you look at the R you will see how the intake sits R with 351 vs the Cobra by the Vacuum tree.

Also with the car I received; the Lightning Tubular intake and Plaque. Also the full original 225 mile Cobra long block. Which had vin on the cracked block. Was missing a valve and full of pistons chunks.

IMG_6931.JPG
IMG_E6932.JPG
IMG_E6935.JPG
IMG_6934.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6933.JPG
    IMG_6933.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
96 Explorers and some 97's had the 3 bar GT40 heads, the rest are GT40p's. I actually picked a set up (of 3 bars) off a '98 one time. The Explorer 3 bar heads did not have the openings in the back of the heads for the air injection cross over tube.

As for intake, it is really close to the Cobra in port sizes and performance, just looks a little different.
The original owner want a GT40 Cobra motor in 93...

What EEC and harness did they use? What gauge cluster?
Original Cluster and
The problem is not that it can't be done. The problem is that nobody at Ford is going to authorize a one-off fix that doesn't meet the specification of the car. There's not some dude sitting at Ford, taking phone calls, and engineering end-to-end warrantable replacement solutions for something that they might be out of.

Now, I can believe that an owner might pay someone to make this swap for them or perhaps Henry Ford had a close personal relationship with said 93 Cobra owner that was documented in the blood of virgins before he died :shrug: Both are more plausible than a Ford dealership sending someone home with a warranted car repair that doesn't meet the OEM specification. As a matter of incident, I'm not even certain that it would be legal. At the very least, it would need a Federal CARB emissions exemption or not be legal to drive in all 50 states.

Ford followed section 3, per the Dr in Danville VA who bought the car from Phil Fitts New Castle PA. He paid the dealer to put the engine in as a replacement. Like I said I never said it was more rare because it had a swap. I paid nothing for it and drove like it was meant to be.....

Attachments

• nowar.JPG
    nowar.JPG
    526.9 KB · Views: 102
This conversation with me started as I was curios why 67ponyman said what he posted. He knew something about the car. He never spoke with me and it was never for sale. I explained to the body shop I did not want the car stored out side. He did not understand why such a rare car needed paint or was driven in the first place. 67ponyman posted all this stuff for some reason second hand at least.

That 93 Cobra convertible guy popped up in one of the mustang Facebook groups I follow the other day. Had an excuse for the people calling him out in the comments. Deleted the post once I left the pic of his car fax report though lol

So if I can understand your posts here Cyajojo, are you saying that the car at the resto shop that 67ponyman saw is your car?

If so, why would you not lead with the comments... I am the owner of the car in question and here is the facts and history of the car...

Just curious?