1993 LX 5.0 Convertible Electric Cooling fan help

csmrol

Aug 15, 2011
Ct.
Hello All,
I just replaced the radiator in my newly purchased mustang. It had an alum. radiator w/ electric cooling fan. I used the same cooling fan. It is a Ford single blade fan with black plastic shroud.Don't know if it is original to a Mustang. It also has a Temp setting device with the probe on a thin wire. The fan looks like it originally had a three spade plug in connector. Looking at the connector from left to right it had two wire connectors, one in the left postition ,center vacant, and one in the right position.These two wires go back to the temp controller with a 20 amp in line fuse.
After filling the radiator with coolant, I waited for the thermostat to open and it did, topped off with coolant once more, and figured I was all set. The fan never came on,temp rose and I shut it down. I disconnected the two wires on the fan and direct wired them to the battery terminals, and the fan came on.Ok ,so now I know the fan works. Hooked everything back up ,tried again, nothing. Checked the inline fuse to the temp controller and it was blown Replaced the fuse and it instantly blew again. Ok so now I figure the temp controller is NG, buy another ,install ,try it,same thing all over.
Should there be three leads out of the fan motor? Could I have a short in the existing two wires coming out of the fan? I'm not too keen on car electronics . Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)