1995 Gt windshield wipers run constantly, and battery drains over night

'95GT5.0

Jan 19, 2006
I have finally started getting back into my car after it sat for three years. The winshield wipers run constantly when the key is turned on. The battery will drain over night. These problems started when the battery cables were disconnected while the car was running. I have replaced the wiper motor, wiper/turn signal switch, and I believe there is one more component I replaced as well.

The wipers dont bother to much, I may just pull the fuse. The battery is my main concern, I have shot about four batteries already. Luckily Wal-Mart has its wonderful exchange program and it isnt costing me anything.

Car is a 1995 GT with a trickflow engine kit, 24# injectors, 180 degree therm, many extras, but those are the most important.

• Sponsors (?)

I have finally started getting back into my car after it sat for three years. The winshield wipers run constantly when the key is turned on. The battery will drain over night. These problems started when the battery cables were disconnected while the car was running. I have replaced the wiper motor, wiper/turn signal switch, and I believe there is one more component I replaced as well.

The wipers dont bother to much, I may just pull the fuse. The battery is my main concern, I have shot about four batteries already. Luckily Wal-Mart has its wonderful exchange program and it isnt costing me anything.

Car is a 1995 GT with a trickflow engine kit, 24# injectors, 180 degree therm, many extras, but those are the most important.

Do you have an alarm on your car?

Disconnecting a battery cable on a running vehicle can create a huge voltage spike which can fry elecronics and systems.

Put an ammeter in series between the disconnected battery cable and post. Disconnect the alternator charge cable and pull the alt fuse and note if the reading drops.
If not, start pulling underhood fuses till the reading goes to almost nill. Then trace that circuit to find the draw.