1998 Mustang 3.8 Manual Starter

ForeverDrivin

Jun 22, 2019
Florida
My engine hydro locked about a week ago, but we were able to purge the water and it now RUNS fine. However, when you try to start it now it just clicks and all electronics go off. I've hooked up my Aspen's battery and that let's it try to start, but now its making this sound here:
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Y6xD9uXVtjcpXyRa_fTq0Uei0K0z7Z6/view?usp=drivesdk

I think its skipping gears but even so it still gets the engine above 1000 rpms and wont start even with gas applied. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

When was the last time that you have seen a normal motor get over 1000 RPM's while cranking? Never. A normal starter can not spin a normal motor with normal compression that fast.

IMO what I hear is not the normal regular chug chug sound of compression. In fact it sounds to me like only 1 of 6 cylinders is generating any compression. This is allowing the motor to spin so fast through the weak cylinders. It then slows down when it hits the one working cylinder.

If this were my car I would do a formal compression and/or leak down test.

I'm sorry but I think that you may have a train wreck on your hands.

When was the last time that you have seen a normal motor get over 1000 RPM's while cranking? Never. A normal starter can not spin a normal motor with normal compression that fast.

IMO what I hear is not the normal regular chug chug sound of compression. In fact it sounds to me like only 1 of 6 cylinders is generating any compression. This is allowing the motor to spin so fast through the weak cylinders. It then slows down when it hits the one working cylinder.

If this were my car I would do a formal compression and/or leak down test.

I'm sorry but I think that you may have a train wreck on your hands.
In the end I'm not planning on keeping the motor (I want a 5.0) but I was looking for a fix I could do quickly. Thanks for the help though.

It was a bad battery wire and damaged gears on the flywheel. I guess I got those initial results because the starter I got was universal for V6 and V8 engines and using a huge SUV battery probably put too much power into the starter. Either way it runs now and nothing else is wrong. No compression or rod damage.