1998 v6 3.8l mustang cranks but will not start

white3.8

Feb 17, 2020
Tennessee
so recently i was given a 98 mustang 3.8 by my mother as it was her car and she does not want to get rid of it, problem is that it sat for 4-5 years and it will crank but won't start. I've had it about 6 months now and I've changed the fuel pump, filter, and injectors, gas tank as the other was rusted through, spark plugs and plug wires, i blew out the fuel lines and I'm currently getting pressure so i think fuel is good. from this point on I'm lost and in need of some help, if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering. What was the condition of the gas when the fuel pump was changed?

Did you replace the fuel injectors before or after the fuel lines were cleaned?

Have you CONFIRMED spark?

Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds at initial key on?

In the "crank with no start" check list pay attention to the part about how to "prove out" the PATS system. Also what the check engine light is supposed to do during cranking.

Does the motor "hit" on a small amount of starting fluid? Do not over use starting fluid on a modern car!!!

Have you checked the base engine health (compression test)?

Here's some more information that may help.

1996+ Crank with no start check list

Just wondering. What was the condition of the gas when the fuel pump was changed?

Did you replace the fuel injectors before or after the fuel lines were cleaned?

Have you CONFIRMED spark?

Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds at initial key on?

In the "crank with no start" check list pay attention to the part about how to "prove out" the PATS system. Also what the check engine light is supposed to do during cranking.

Does the motor "hit" on a small amount of starting fluid? Do not over use starting fluid on a modern car!!!

Have you checked the base engine health (compression test)?

Here's some more information that may help.

1996+ Crank with no start check list

A moment ago
The gas was good and clean when we changed the pump,filter and tank. We did the injectors after we changed all that and blew the lines out. yes it sparks we took that light bulb tester thing to the new ones when we put them in. yes we can hear the pump prime on key turn. I will check out the PATS system and check list after school today but i’m unsure about how to conduct a compression test. thanks for the help i appreciate it.

so recently i was given a 98 mustang 3.8 by my mother as it was her car and she does not want to get rid of it, problem is that it sat for 4-5 years and it will crank but won't start. I've had it about 6 months now and I've changed the fuel pump, filter, and injectors, gas tank as the other was rusted through, spark plugs and plug wires, i blew out the fuel lines and I'm currently getting pressure so i think fuel is good. from this point on I'm lost and in need of some help, if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.
The problem is the Crankshaft Pick-up Sensor $30 at Advance Auto Parts. If engine starts with Starting fluid its the Fuel Pump bad. If engine won't start with Starting Fluid its the Crankshaft Pick-up Sensor. If the Sensor doesn't work it won't turn-on the injectors.

There are a few things a car needs to runs. It cranks so that's a start. There are 5 things it needs. Fuel, which you seem to have a good handle on. Air, if the filter is bad you wont be able to get air into the engine to start. Spark, you said you already changed the plugs and wires, but still get a spark tester to make sure the wires are working properly. Compression, if you have bad compression then I don't think it will be worth keeping the original engine, unless you want to pull it and make sure you don't have any cracks in the block and rebuild it, or you can just swap it and have some fun. And timing, check the timing belt and make sure it has proper tension and hasn't slipped any teeth throwing off the timing. If you want a proper guide to checking everything check out this video that goes into detail about everything I just mentioned.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNhuDCVIydw&ab_channel=ChrisFix