2.3-Carbed 5.0 swap question-is there a way to use the original cruise control?

fordman54935

Jan 10, 2003
Wisconsin
OK guys, let me pick your brain for a minute and test my theory.

I am planning a 5.0 swap when the 2.3 in my 93 LX dies. What I would like to know is: Can it be done?

I'd like to be able keep the factory cruise control from the 2.3. The trans will probably be an AOD because I already have a good one that came with the engine I picked up. Now, the cruise control box is a separate unit mounted on the passenger side strut tower, correct? The AOD has a Vehicle Speed Sensor on it that could be made to work with that control box, or I could get a box from a 5.0. Also, there needs to be a vaccum signal for this control box to determine engine load I assume? If I hook up the VSS in the new AOD to the control box, and connect a vaccuum source to the control box, I should have the ability to have cruise control, right? I know I'll need a way to hook up the servo to the throttle cable, which I have to deal with anyway because I will need to refab the original cable or get a different one to work with the carb anyway.

So do you think it will work? I hope I was able to clearly explain what my thoughts are on this. Any ideas, theorys, problems, complaints, :bs: flags :D are all appreciated! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I am not sure about the 93 cars but the 87 and 88 cars have the speed control box on the driver side attached to the firewall on the inside. Your car should have speed sensor wires already so just tie into them. After that it is just a matter of fabbing your servo to the throttle cable and finding a proper vacuum source.