2.95 Z-spec T-5 with 350HP??

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I'm debating the Trick flow top end kit which will produce approx 350HP according to TF.

I need a transmission.

I have two options
1985 WC T-5 275 ft-lbs w/49K miles on it

or a partially rebuilt 1990 T-5 300 ft-lbs. It's missing the countergear and input shaft so i would need to order those.

I'm debating just ordering the Z-spec kit for under $400 and just using that. It's rated for 330 ft-lbs or torque, but will it hold up to a 350HP engine??

I don't really plan on drag racing the car. It's more or less a cruiser, but i will get on it here and there.

Or, i could do the g-force kit, buy the components myself and do the install myself. But it's $1100 for the gearset alone. Reason i don't want to go g-force is that i could use that money for a t-56.

If i run any other trans, it will be a T-56. But for obvious cost reasons, i can't do that quite yet while i'm working on an engine combo. Maybe in a year or so i can finally consider it. I want a t-56 just for the sake of saying i have 6 gears and its one beefy trans.

• Sponsors (?)

I would save your money and run whatever's cheapest. There's hundreds of guys running 4-banger transmissions behind 350+ HP motors with considerable flogging and little to no issue. Just down power shift it and run slicks all the time or you're going to be picking up parts...The 4-banger trans doesn't get enough credit for what it will hold up to.

/thread

I just bought the remaining parts i needed for a 068 gearset which is 300 ft-lbs.

I now have a 300 ft-lb rated T-5 with ALL new gears, input, countergear, synchros, etc for under $400. The only parts remaining from the original 4-banger t-5 are the mainshaft and shift rails and forks. It's basically a like-new T-5.

The 300ft lb t5 will work just fine, especially if you wont be beating on it much at the track.

Also if you drive it on the street the G-force gear set is not the way to go. A much better option would be the Astro Performance gear set. It can handle just about anything you throw at it and it has tapered gears so it wont whine.

I figured that since I have 2 T-5's and can rebuild them pretty easily, i should be all set even if i start breaking them. I can toss my back-up in, fix the primary and then swap it back in.

why a t-56 besides the 6th gear? they are only rated at 400hp unless you get the viper spec which will cost you a wee bit more. .you would be surprised what that t5 can handle. people run 400 hp on that transmission. If i ever got rid of my tko600 i would get the viper spec t56 just because of the extra gear

Honestly, if you have 2 t5's, i'd fix them both, then sell them and buy a gforce setup or tremec.

My trans made it about 3 weeks of my driving after my h/c/i setup. And mine was a Z spec.

Honestly, if you have 2 t5's, i'd fix them both, then sell them and buy a gforce setup or tremec.

I may also go that route. The car is an AOD at the moment and may stay an AOD until i get my engine situation squared away which may take some time. At that point i just might say screw it and buy a TKO

Save your money G force or TKO T600. People with a gear, power shifting will blow 3rd gear all day. I have a s trim blower <14psi> and i baby the trans till i get a new one.

Installing a trans/clutch isn't to hard just the rear main seal sometimes is a pain. But you can install the seal and turn the car on to see if its leaking before you put the trans back in.

Or atleast go to a TKO3550 or pick up a used TKO500/600. T5's = Fail. I sneeze wrong in my car and it breaks. However other people have been lucky to still have em' with well over 300 HP. Hell, I've come across some pushing 400.

I may also go that route. The car is an AOD at the moment and may stay an AOD until i get my engine situation squared away which may take some time. At that point i just might say screw it and buy a TKO

See, i got a package deal on my TKO 600, all parts required for $2000, included a lakewood bell, race clutch setup, adjustable Firewall, TOB, yoke. (all NIB from someone leaving for the military).

Honestly, if i didn't get it all for that price, i would of went Gforce.

But, i've been on this kick lately where other than the engine i'd like everything to look and feel factory original. And i'd say the odds are the gforce feels a little more like a stock t5.
Also a few things i don't like about my 600, such as the gearing.

Or atleast go to a TKO3550 or pick up a used TKO500/600. T5's = Fail. I sneeze wrong in my car and it breaks. However other people have been lucky to still have em' with well over 300 HP. Hell, I've come across some pushing 400.

Yea u can get 400 but you have to do what i do. Put it in gear slowly, make sure its in then floor it. If its not in then......:nonono: 3rd and 4th alright break on them. I power shift 1th to 2nd though. :D