2 issues with my 96

DAVES96

Nov 20, 2005
Arlington,TX
I found my oil leak. Its the rear main seal. Also I have a cracked intake.

I got an estimate of $400 to fix the oil seal. I was going to attempt to do this myself until I started reading the service manual. :D I think I will pay someone else to do this insted!

I'm more confident in replacing the intake. I would like to get the new Aluminum one! It may be more $$ than what I want to pour into this car.

• Sponsors (?)

the intake is not hard to do at all. you can even get the PI intake and adapter plates or even go without the adapter plates and use rtv.

as far as the rear main,i am doing mine on my car right now. for a long time i noticed a small oil leak and i thought it was coming from the pass. side head, when i pulled the trans down to do my clutch i noticed that the leak is from the rear main seal retainer. this part is rtv sealed from the factory and it sprung a leak in the top right hand corner of it. not hard to replace it at all IF you have the special tools. I am a tech a ford dealer so i have the tools at work. in fact thats where my car is right now apart on my lift waiting for my parts to come in :bang:

300 is no a bad price to get it done.

Mine is an auto so its a little more difficult plus trying to do it on car ramps and jack stands makes it all the more undesirable. Because the car sits so low the tranny is still right above your chest when you crawl under it. I'm mean right above it.
The price for the shop to fix it is $400 though not $300. Thats the cheapest I found. Other shops have said $600.