2 Quarts of Oil?

00GTpony

Mar 10, 2007
Today i was curious and i checked the oil level on my car..... and i had to add 2 quarts of oil?.....I used full synthetic Advanced 5w30........ Anybody know why this could have happend, i lost oil?....... Never seen smoke from my exhaust either.

• Sponsors (?)

ok well.... ya its the first time other then the time i did the oil change 300 miles ago.... When i read the dipstick with the car off, theres only oil on the bottome of the dip stick..... but when the car is on its alot higher... after i added the 2 quarts... the oiled lined up perfevtly on the dipstick when the car was off.

ok well.... ya its the first time other then the time i did the oil change 300 miles ago.... When i read the dipstick with the car off, theres only oil on the bottome of the dip stick..... but when the car is on its alot higher... after i added the 2 quarts... the oiled lined up perfevtly on the dipstick when the car was off.

Are you telling us you checked the oil with the engine running????
DON'T DO THAT.

Dwayne

:nonono:

heres how you check your oil:

Step one: with the car off, take out the dipstick.
Step two: wipe off dipstick. DO NOT READ IT!!
Step three: replace dipstick
Step four: Start car until the oil pressure gauge rises and indicates that the car has full oil pressure.
Step five: Turn car off, get out and remove the dipstick.
Step six: take reading of oil level from dipstick.

Step four: Start car until the oil pressure gauge rises and indicates that the car has full oil pressure.

Still wrong.
Step 4 is wrong because the running engine will splash oil and cause a false reading.
Throw step 4 away and the first half of step 5 you are golden.

Dwayne

Still wrong.
Step 4 is wrong because the running engine will splash oil and cause a false reading.
Throw step 4 away and the first half of step 5 you are golden.

+1

Step four: get out and remove the dipstick.
Step five: take reading of oil level from dipstick.
Step six: taste it to make sure it's ok!:rolleyes:

:scratch:

Why on earth would you do that? that pumps all your oil throughout your engine, now you have to wait a few minutes for it all to return to the pan....or it will give a falsely low reading. I hope thats not how you have been checking your oil :rlaugh:

ok i keep my car off.. take the dipstick out, wipe it........ then i put it back in then i read it, thats how i check my oil....... i dont turn the car on or anythin..... back to the point... Why all the sudden could i b 2 quarts low?

I don't taste my oil but I do rub it between my fingers and smell it.

Dwayne
I do that in place of K-Y.

As far as being 2 quarts low...

You said you only have 300 miles since last oil change? Two things. It leaked...from either a loose drain plug, oil filter or a hell of a bad gasket leak. Any one of these you could have noticed but

You didn't replace with enough at your oil change. I've forgotten what year it changed but my 96 takes 6 quarts.

it happens :shrug:

when was the last time you changed the oil?

Ummm no....oil doesn't just burn away for no apparent reason. :Zip2:

He either has an oil leak somewhere, or it's getting past the rings and into the intake system. Drive the car a few days and see how much oil it burns. Look for smoking under the hood, or blue looking smoke from the exhaust. I would do a compression test to see how the rings are doing. How many miles are on the car?