2 Quarts of Oil?

• Sponsors (?)

I still think he now has 7 quarts in the crankcase since he said he added two...
Unless he was low, he may now have 8 quarts according to you...later model GTs take 6 quarts.

The dipstick is accurate....I don't know why you think that.

It's not that hard to check your damn oil people!
+1, unless it's on a hill. Or if it is running :rlaugh:

First, if you lost 2 quarts in 300 miles, you would know about it for sure. You would see it smoking, or leaking somewhere. Thats alot of oil to lose in only 300 miles. Its possible for a gasket to leak 2 quarts that quickly, but if thats the case I doubt it just started right after your oil change.

Check your drain plug, and try to remember if the gasket came off with the old filter. Sometimes they stick to the block, and a double-gasket oil filter WILL leak.

The other scenario is you didnt add enough oil, or it wasnt check properly. If you check your oil WITHOUT first starting the car, you get a false reading since the oil filter has not yet been filled. If you check the car with it running, you will get a false reading. Remove, wipe, then check. This gives you a clean, reliable reading also provided you are parked on a flat surface.

There are any number of things that may have occured. A legit problem with the engine causing it to consume oil or leak oil for one; two error during the oil change.

-How long did you wait after running the car to check the oil. You might only have a drip or two at the end of the dipstick if you checked it right after driving
-How many Quarts were added during the oil change?
-Did you add oil to the filter before installing it?
-Was the oil added during the change until a desired dipstick reading was met or a specific amount of oil added?
-Drain Plug torqued to spec?
-notice any oil wetness or drips from under the car? Any stains on the pavement where you park?

i honestly dont remember how much oil i put in on the last oil change... Im sure i did it till i got the desired spot on the dipstick..... Yes it was on a flat surface... im pretty sure it isnt leaking, i park my car in the same spot every night, and theres no oil there...... also , no there has never been smoke comming out of motor or exhaust

i honestly dont remember how much oil i put in on the last oil change... Im sure i did it till i got the desired spot on the dipstick..... Yes it was on a flat surface... im pretty sure it isnt leaking, i park my car in the same spot every night, and theres no oil there...... also , no there has never been smoke comming out of motor or exhaust

Get your manual out and find the correct amount to be used in your car. Mine is 6 but later models went to 5. Only then can you be assured of getting what is needed and not putting in too much or not enough.

There is a possibility that by adding oil until the dipstick read full, the engine was still low on oil. The oil filter holds a decent amount, not 2 quarts usually but if it was dry it can give you a low reading. Adding more to get the dipstick to read full after 300 miles is probably fine but in the future add the specified amount of oil to the engine, if you don't put any in the oil filter and don't start it up you might have a high reading on the dipstick. However after running the engine and allowing the oil to return to the pan you should have a normal full reading.