2 step to horn wiring

408Notch

Jun 14, 2014
So I have a 93 and I am wanting to wire my 2 step to my horn button somehow. I don't have horns and was wondering how to use the horn button to activate my 2 step.

Thanks
Shawn

• Sponsors (?)

The wire to the horn has 12v at all times. The horn pad grounds it to make the horn work.

Simple answer: Use a 4-pin relay
Amazon product ASIN B078T8CMF6View: https://smile.amazon.com/ARTGEAR-Harness-Color-Labeled-Automotive-Motorcycle/dp/B078T8CMF6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2AO7F3R5K6X9V&keywords=12+volt+relay&qid=1646704855&sprefix=12+volt+relay%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3

2 wires are for [relay] power and ground. Hook these two wires to the ends of the wires that your horn used to occupy.
The other two relay wires are now your [switch] to activate whatever it is you would like to activate. It can be installed on either the power or ground side of the component you want to energize.

I’ve thought about doing a double-switched-circuit if I ever install a 2 step. Clutch switch, plus horn switch to engage 2 step. This way, when you dump the clutch, 2 step limiter is automatically removed. The horn switch is there so that you don’t hit a 2 step every time you clutch. I have an 82, so my horn button is pressing the turn signal switch toward the column. I’d probably never use that as a horn, so I’d repurpose it for 2 step.