2000 Convertible leak - Replace top?

MLCrisis

May 11, 2008
We just had a really nasty bout of weather roll through the region and I found that my recently purchased convertible does infact leak :(

Now I know that convertibles eventually leak, it's the nature of the beast, so I'm not upset by this discovery but I need some advice on what maybe the cause/solution.

The leak seems to be coming in from the side right above the rear tires (yes BOTH sides) so I am wondering if it is a "clogged drain" or could it be that the top has gone beyond it's normal service life.

I've included a pic of the actual leak site from inside the car and a pic of where the leak is "outside" the car. The one in the "outside" pic isn't mine but it looks identical ... all the way down to the Pennsy plates :D

So what do you folks think?
Clogged drain?
Some seal dry rotted?
New Top?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 643
  • leakoutside.jpg
    leakoutside.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,059
  • Sponsors (?)

I now have the same leak in my 99 Cobra convertible.
Did you find a cause/solution?
There is a leak coming from the bottom corner of your convertible window. I just went through the same exact thing. I had this issue with my original top at 8 years old back in 2007. I had a replacement installed, but the shop did crappy work. I had it replaced with a quality Electron Top that can be purchased through latemodelrestoration.com about 6 months ago. Their kits are reasonably priced and installation was easy for my qualified installer.

After purchase and installation I was set back approximately $900, I also bought tension cables for the sides of the top going from the quarter windows to the chassis.

The only issue I have now is the fact the passenger window is out of alignment and goes up too high and catches the top whenever you don't shut the door hard enough.

A convertible is a fun car to have, but if I had to do it again, I probably would have picked the hardtop...

Hey man that's an easy fix. Take the door panel off and then you will see how you can adjust the window travel.
I went here, 1994-2004 Mustang Door Panel Removal

and although it seems simple, how hard is it once I get to the white plastic cover? How hard is it to remove the cover in itself? And once it is off, how do I adjust the window? (I like looking at directions when I am doing something for the first time like this...)

The white plastic cover is just stuck on I completely removed mine actually but ir can be re-adhered.

Its too hard to describe the travel adjustment, you will grok it once you see it.

+1 on the leak location. It leaks near the rear glass. The fabric folds 180 degrees at the same spot each time the top is raised/lowered. In essence, a stress crack forms.

It is possible to replace just the rear wind screen. Note, the glass is permenantly glued to the fabric. It is not posslble to buy one without the other. In my case, the repair was around $600.

What I learned is that opening/closing the top does take life from it. I was opening/closing the top 6 times a day (only someone who has one would understand). After replacing the windscreen, I open/close the top only when the weather is really nice.

Just for the record- I PM'd BRICE with my answer:

Yepper, there is actually a GREAT thread on Mustangforums.com teaching you how to find and repair the leak.

How to Fix a Leak in a 1999 - 2004 Mustang Vert - MustangForums.com

I have a blacktop so I used black duct tape and heavy duty weather proofing glue along the inner seam. Worked like a charm. I also read elsewhere that this product did a superior job of sealing up the leaky areas ...
Cabela's -- Tear-Aid Repair Tape
It's made to seal tents and repair floatation devices so it's perfect for sealing a vert's top.

Hope this solves your problem! Good luck!