2000 GT: Steering

Tried a black pony in grill. Not sure I like it.

IMG_6762.jpeg

Need to work on the seats next

IMG_6764.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I totally get where you're going with this now. I had forgotten that the switches moved to below-the-radio when they went with the factory double DIN radio. Your retro-fit makes perfect sense.

What head unit are you looking at? I checked out what's available on Crutchfield and I'm not too happy with the options. I wanted one with an actual volume knob or up/down volume buttons located in the top left corner at a minimum, but there aren't many to choose from with that layout. Based on the lower position and proximity to the shifter, I totally understand why you wanted the raised radio location compared to the Metra kit. Even a small bump up in height will be significant for driving line-of-sight. Another option might be to add some sort of remote steering wheel mounted controls, but I'm not seeing any good aftermarket options. This is a tough upgrade....

I totally get where you're going with this now. I had forgotten that the switches moved to below-the-radio when they went with the factory double DIN radio. Your retro-fit makes perfect sense.

Had I not done the 01+ console swap i could have used the Metra it and called it a day. It's just the relocating of the buttons requires the 01-04 trim panel. As part of what I wanted to do, i wanted these buttons anyway.

But even with a '95 cobra, you could do an 01+ console swap anyway as you can relocate the fog light switch to the convertible top switch button location (see pin in post 241), left the defrost where it was and you don't have T/C to worry about. Metra kit and be done.

I haven't picked a radio yet. I'm running into the same issue. Lack of knobs. But the 94-00 Mach head unit lacks knobs anyway so not end of the world. I just hate when i'm driving and have to look to find a touch button on a screen and hit it.

Will likely pick this back up over the holidays. Just waiting on shifter boot and I need to rewire the T/C button to move that up.

Finished up the console swap by installing an OE style boot. It didn't sit well on the parking braker handle, so I ended up swapping to an 01-04 style parking brake handle which accepts the 01+ boot better.

Buttons are all rewired as well. Just need to get my hands on a good DD radio now and install. Seat recover coming up after.

IMG_7076.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Got the seat covers.

$400 plus ship from Auto Seat Replacement. I’m actually impressed. These are the vinyl versions and they look pretty good. Even the pony is close.

IMG_7251.jpeg

I have four donor seats to use to make 2 nice seats. Likely I will take the foam from the black seats, as it’s in better shape. I haven’t decided if I want to use the 03/04 big headrests, or the fox halos.
IMG_7253.jpeg

Drivers seat begging for new covers
IMG_7254.jpeg

My work table is in the basement. Usually it’s in the garage, but the fox is sitting in my usual work spot.

3/4 of the way done. Wanted to test the seat track function and lumbar function as I had to take it all apart to switch some parts around from my other donor seat.

IMG_7297.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Done. Just need to install a double din radio and interior is now up to my standards. Now it looks like a 70k mile car….at least inside.

Tint for the windows is on the agenda as well.

IMG_7309.jpeg
IMG_7310.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Mounted. Now to wire it in. Waiting on my backup camera to arrive on Mon

IMG_7400.jpeg

Kept it simple and just built a support bar across like the 01-04 mustangs, and a rear support brace. This radio is pretty light now that they don’t put cd players in them.

Horozontal bar has oversized holes which allows me to fine tune the adjustment of where the radio sits. Really was a "measured 10X drill once" sort of affair. Can't even explain how i mocked that up to find where to drill but somehow it worked perfectly on the first shot.

To keep the radio supported and prevent it from tilting back and forth, i made the vertical brace. It bolts to an existing bolt with a slot so I can raise/lower it as needed. The top is bent into a sort of cradle to hold the rear of the head unit. I just lift or lower it to support the radio where I need it and tighten. It's pretty darn rigid.

Now to wire it in. Need to install rear camera and mic and the GPS antenna for carplay.

IMG_7402.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users