Dillon Terry

Sep 18, 2016
How's it going boys, this is my first post on stangforum, but I've been on for weeks reading other posts and searching and so far I didn't find anyone solving this problem.

2000 GT Mustang with a 5 speed manual.

When I accelerate down the road the speedometer doesn't start working until I'm going about 45 miles an hour and it only says I'm doing about 8.
The fastest I've gone down the road was about 80 and it said I was doing about 30 miles an hour.
Yes my car has stock gears..... I think but,
it shouldn't make that big of a difference anyway.
When I reset all the gauges by disconnecting the battery the needle resets goes all the way to 150 and back down to 0 and I've even taking the cluster out took the whole thing apart and checked the back of the speedometer where the armature is, checked all the wires, nothing looked out of place.
so the cluster is not my issue.
Next day I went down to O'Reilly's and got a new speed sensor that single bolts to the side of my transmission. The old one looked fine and the gear didn't appear to be worn AT ALL!
I did have to put the old gear on the new part, because it doesn't include one.
I've checked all fuses I traced the wiring back as far as I can without getting ridiculous and I can't find any imperfections.. Is there a ground wire that I could check? Another fuse or relay?

I can't drive this car properly without a speedometer.. IT SUCKS just having a tach.

Is there anyone that has had this problem or is seen it before that can help me!?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Dillon, welcome to Stangnet!

I'll move your thread over to the '96-'04 tech subforum. The guys there will be able to help you out.

Good to have you with us!