Engine 2001 Cobra engine swap

2001 Cobra engine swap: I've acquired a 2001 Cobra with a blown engine. I don't have the $3k for even the least expensive used replacement I've located. A used 4.6L SOHC out of a GT is 1/3 the cost. How difficult a project is it to replace the DOHC with a SOHC? Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

This seems short sighted to me. There are tons of Cobra specific parts that will loose their value once no longer in a Cobra. The car itself will lose it's value once the installed motor does not match the VIN code.

If you are looking for a motor swap project it seems wiser to me to buy a different Mustang GT and put a salvage yard SOHC in.

Or fix the Cobra and sell it. Use the $$ to buy a cheaper GT.

I acquired the vehicle unexpectedly and at no cost to me. I just want to get it back up and running.

I can get a used SOHC 4.6L installed for $1500 vs. a used DOHC installed for $4k.

It's just a bonus being a Cobra and it's a vehicle I'd keep forever so I don't care about the VIN alteration.

I just want it running condition and need to know if the swap out is as simple as a few minor mods including the PCM or is this too big a project?

Thanks