2002 GT - Accelerator Pedal "Thumping" Or "Rattling"

Is the throttle/accelerator cable, where it attaches to the pedal, supposed to stick out from the plastic piece that snaps or attaches to the pedal bracket, like in this picture (FYI - I'm lifting the pedal up with my hand in this picture)? I'm asking because whenever I'm cruising on the highway, say at 65-75 mph, and I step on the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control, my accelerator pedal pops up with such force that you can hear it "rattle" (for lack of a better term) loudly for a second or so. If I gently step on the brake pedal, the accelerator pedal doesn't make any sounds, because it's being "released" more slowly or gently.

The cable itself feels "loose" inside the sheathing, where it attaches to the throttle body. I thought this was the problem, but my uncle has a 2003 GT convertible, and I checked his cable out when I went over to his house for Easter - his feels "loose", too. However, when I move his cable back and forth, I don't hear his accelerator pedal making the same "rattling" or "thumping" sounds like mine does, when I do the same thing with my car.

This never started happening until I had to replace my brake master cylinder & Hydro-boost unit last year (because they were both leaking), and that occurred after my car spent roughly SIX WEEKS at a repair shop having all new brakes installed all the way around (slotted & drilled rotors; rebuilt calipers; new pads, and stainless-steel flexible brake lines). The reason it was there so long was because I drive a tractor-trailer for a living (and am usually gone from home 3-4 weeks at a time), and they couldn't figure out why I had a soft, spongy brake pedal after they installed my parts that I didn't have before. I figured out myself after I decided they weren't going to screw around any longer with it (I'll never take my car there, again!). Anyway, I was under the dash for a bit while replacing those parts, because I had to disconnect the rod & the brake light switch that attach to the brake pedal, and in contorting my body to get under there, I'm sure I probably hit the accelerator pedal a few times - did I damage it, somehow? Is there supposed to be any type of spring attached to the accelerator pedal bracket, because I don't see one? Thanks for any input.

20180403_123902.jpg

• Sponsors (?)