Drivetrain 2002 trans noise when clutch is released.

• Sponsors (?)

Here some information about the "tail shaft". It should help you determine the difference between the VSS and OSS sensors.

T-45 Tail Shaft Swap
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/140694-t-45-tail-shaft-swap.html

The other way to tell the difference between a VSS and OSS sensor is easy to see once the sensor is removed. An OSS sensor is a NON-contact sensor. Where the VSS is a contact sensor driven by a worm gear.

I ordered a new driven gear for the VSS and that came in today I made sure to get the same amount of teeth (23) the old one was worn out and only had teeth around the top and bottom edge, the middle was worn away almost all the way. I also ordered a new VSS and put that in. When I did I noticed my drain plug is on the side so a T45. I installed the new parts and took it around the block to see if it worked, it did not. Is there a step I missed or what should I check next? I've done the gage check with the instrument cluster and the needle works as it should. Is there another part needed to have a t45 speed sensor work on an 02?

Here some information about the "tail shaft". It should help you determine the difference between the VSS and OSS sensors.

T-45 Tail Shaft Swap
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/140694-t-45-tail-shaft-swap.html

The other way to tell the difference between a VSS and OSS sensor is easy to see once the sensor is removed. An OSS sensor is a NON-contact sensor. Where the VSS is a contact sensor driven by a worm gear.

I just saw your post after I replied. I believe my tail shaft was swapped over also. With the VSS removed I suck my pinky in the hole and could feel the teeth on the shaft. I did that to see if they were as worn out as the driven gear, they seemed fine, but I think I'll try to take a closer look after reading your reply. Maybe shine a flashlight in there.

I ordered a new driven gear for the VSS and that came in today I made sure to get the same amount of teeth (23) the old one was worn out and only had teeth around the top and bottom edge, the middle was worn away almost all the way. I also ordered a new VSS and put that in. When I did I noticed my drain plug is on the side so a T45. I installed the new parts and took it around the block to see if it worked, it did not. Is there a step I missed or what should I check next? I've done the gage check with the instrument cluster and the needle works as it should. Is there another part needed to have a t45 speed sensor work on an 02?
Could be the rocker arm that lifts the clutch

I just saw your post after I replied. I believe my tail shaft was swapped over also. With the VSS removed I suck my pinky in the hole and could feel the teeth on the shaft. I did that to see if they were as worn out as the driven gear, they seemed fine, but I think I'll try to take a closer look after reading your reply. Maybe shine a flashlight in there.
The 1999-2004 model year uses an OSS senor.

The 1998 and older uses a VSS sensor.

The electrical output of the OSS and VSS sensor are NOT compatible to each other. The type of sensor used also needs to match what the PCM is expecting. In addition the transmission harness wiring is different.

If trying to make a VSS transmission work with an OSS PCM needs some sort of "conversion" box such as an Extended range SpeedCal.

The 1999-2004 model year uses an OSS senor.

The 1998 and older uses a VSS sensor.

The electrical output of the OSS and VSS sensor are NOT compatible to each other. The type of sensor used also needs to match what the PCM is expecting. In addition the transmission harness wiring is different.

If trying to make a VSS transmission work with an OSS PCM needs some sort of "conversion" box such as an Extended range SpeedCal.

the wiring harness matches the t45 transmission has been in this car for some time, but I'm not sure if the speedometer has ever worked since the swap, but it does have the correct harness for the t45 speed sensor. I'm not sure if it has the extended range speedcal, but if it doesn't, is this the part i need? Also would a SCT tuner be able to do the same thing?

https://lmr.com/item/M4209ADPTAC/94...f2__BMrF3w1zpzMFByr-HWeXtHZ9Im3saAqB6EALw_wcB

Last edited:
Also would a SCT tuner be able to do the same thing?
No. Why? Because a "tuner" solution assumes that the speedometer works in the first place and all that's needed is for the PCM to have updated multiplier.

Remember that you have a NON compatible electrical interface to over come as well.
I'm not sure if it has the extended range speedcal, but if it doesn't, is this the part i need?
Maybe. The problem you have is that you don't have a 1994-1998 or a 1999-2004. So you are going to have to really use your head to "modify" the instructions for your application.

Or go back to the T45 tail shaft swap and put the correct OSS tail shaft on your car. Then you may not need anything at all unless you have a different rear end ratio.

No. Why? Because a "tuner" solution assumes that the speedometer works in the first place and all that's needed is for the PCM to have updated multiplier.

Remember that you have a NON compatible electrical interface to over come as well.

Maybe. The problem you have is that you don't have a 1994-1998 or a 1999-2004. So you are going to have to really use your head to "modify" the instructions for your application.

Or go back to the T45 tail shaft swap and put the correct OSS tail shaft on your car. Then you may not need anything at all unless you have a different rear end ratio.

thank you, i'm going to look around and see if I can find the speedcal maybe already installed in the car. it's hard to imagine someone would swap out the trans and then drive around with no speedometer especially if they went through the trouble of wiring in the correct harness for the speed sensor.

it's hard to imagine someone would swap out the trans and then drive around with no speedometer
Being on the forums for a long time, this sort of thing comes up all too frequently. The problem can also be seen in some of the threads opened. IE that many people "assume" that all Mustangs are the same (no mention of the model year of the car in question). Part of that assumption is well deserved after all I believe that Ford's stability in the product line is one of the things that have made the Mustang so popular.

I suspect that someone swapped in what ever transmission was available at the time. The incompatible speed sensor wasn't discovered until after the work was done. Possibility as a complete surprise. My thinking is the thought of doing the work twice is a bitter pill for many to swallow. After all, technically the car can be driven without a speedometer (I personally wouldn't).

To anyone else considering some of these sort of swaps, the best advice I can give is, "do you homework". Research the forums. Look at salvage yard interchange data such as car-part.com.