2003-2004 Cobra Steering Rack Install

You'll need to swap the tie rods themselves (not the outer tie rod ends) for Fox pieces because they SN95 tie rods are metric threaded, and too long.

You'll need a hybrid steering shaft like MM sells to mate the "D" shaped fox-body steering shaft with the triangular input shaft on the SN95 rack

You'll need to sweat and swear and pry on the shaft that comes out of the firewall to get it to the right length (it's collapsible/extendable, but not easily).

ANY SN95 rack is better than ANY fox rack, so you don't necessarily have to jump through hoops to get a Cobra unit. But if you do want a Cobra unit, you do need to jump through some hoops, because so many catalogs and fulfillment centers will substitute the GT rack even if you ask for the Cobra one. You need Cardone part number 22-2000 to get the right Cobra innards but it may not come with the correct factory SPR-ZM stamp on the housing, which is fine, because the housings are interchangeable.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

You'll need to swap the tie rods themselves (not the outer tie rod ends) for Fox pieces because they SN95 tie rods are metric threaded, and too long.

You'll need a hybrid steering shaft like MM sells to mate the "D" shaped fox-body steering shaft with the triangular input shaft on the SN95 rack

You'll need to sweat and swear and pry on the shaft that comes out of the firewall to get it to the right length (it's collapsible/extendable, but not easily).

ANY SN95 rack is better than ANY fox rack, so you don't necessarily have to jump through hoops to get a Cobra unit. But if you do want a Cobra unit, you do need to jump through some hoops, because so many catalogs and fulfillment centers will substitute the GT rack even if you ask for the Cobra one. You need Cardone part number 22-2000 to get the right Cobra innards but it may not come with the correct factory SPR-ZM stamp on the housing, which is fine, because the housings are interchangeable.

A shop has a cobra shaft I just need the cobra rack and some people telling me I can use my fox tie rods and some telling use another kind of tie rods

Tie rods and tie rod ENDS are different. You're hearing to use Taurus tie rod ENDS on the Cobra rack. I wouldn't do that, because running changes in the aftermarket parts means the "taurus tie rod end" you get today may not be equivalent in every dimension as the ones people used to get years ago, and because you'll probably end up having to cut length off the cobra tie rods to make it work anyway.

Swap the Cobra rack's tie rods for Foxbody tie rods, and use your foxbody tie rod ends on them.

As for the Cobra shaft, if it's really a stock cobra shaft, it won't connect to your foxbody steering shaft. It needs to be a hybrid, with a foxbody upper section and an SN95 lower section.

Reactions: 1 users
Tie rods and tie rod ENDS are different. You're hearing to use Taurus tie rod ENDS on the Cobra rack. I wouldn't do that, because running changes in the aftermarket parts means the "taurus tie rod end" you get today may not be equivalent in every dimension as the ones people used to get years ago, and because you'll probably end up having to cut length off the cobra tie rods to make it work anyway.

Swap the Cobra rack's tie rods for Foxbody tie rods, and use your foxbody tie rod ends on them.

As for the Cobra shaft, if it's really a stock cobra shaft, it won't connect to your foxbody steering shaft. It needs to be a hybrid, with a foxbody upper section and an SN95 lower section.

I did specify outer tie rods earlier, but forgot to specify outer tie rod ends in my last post.

I too thought I had to cut the cobra "inner" tie rods, but I didn't and it aligned at my alignment shop, dunno. I listed the correct MOOG part number for the outer tie rod "ends" I used in the past year as an alternative option to having to change out the cobra "inner" tie rods. Mainly because I prefer not to take about a good component unless there is a reason too.

More than one way to skin a cat

Also, the hybrid shaft part number is MMST-13
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...Power-Steering-Rack-1979-93-Mustang-P461.aspx

Cool now I understand much better what I have to dowhat I have to do

If I still have the 4 lugs could I still do the cobra rack

FWTW when I changed the rack in my 89 gt I used power steering fluid, flushed the system and was good to go, no leaks, no runs, no whine'n, that's a pump with 150k on it.
I think the cap on the pump states what to use.

I need a rack, and have been wanting do steering shaft mod. Handy thread you got here. Lol.

Now, (ima go research it anyway) but anyone made their own hybrid shaft here?

Cept my whole :poo: turning to a cluster :leghump:. Oh let me do this, well i was gonna do that, so lets do this and that, and add that and this. Smh. Lol. I cant escape the parts/$ vacuum.

I need a rack, and have been wanting do steering shaft mod. Handy thread you got here. Lol.

Now, (ima go research it anyway) but anyone made their own hybrid shaft here?

Cept my whole :poo: turning to a cluster :leghump:. Oh let me do this, well i was gonna do that, so lets do this and that, and add that and this. Smh. Lol. I cant escape the parts/$ vacuum.
look through this index, I'm sure he made his from 'parts'.

I did real quick like, didnt see steering. Preciate it tho.

I just need the u joint that is 3/4 smooth (welds to fox shaft) w/ the sn95 D shape. I got the 3/4 smooth 3/4 splined for fox shaft/rack. Ill bet ebay has it.