2003 Cobra Will Not Go Into Any Gear.

Cobra 831

Jul 24, 2016
Hello everyone. I'm always on forums but never posted on any. I am having issues with my car (been over 6 months without driving it).. my car had the stock t56 with stock clutch. I was driving the car and all of a sudden I could not get into any gear. I would be able to put it into gear while off and turn it on but once out of the gear, it wouldn't go back into any. A couple months later I tried again and realized it does go into gear but by force. (It would make me sweat shifting, in every gear ). I drained the tranny oil and had metal shavings.. I bought a brand new t56 magnum with spec 3+ clutch. Everything was installed properly and car turned on and sounded fine. Tried shifting and the same thing, still won't shift. And now the car jumps forward and cuts off if I put it into gear and then turn it on. I have looked as much as I possibly could without breaking my phone/computer but can't find anything. Please help!!.. I also adjusted the cable in every possible setting, still nothing

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the quadrant has stripped. Do you have an aftermarket clutch quadrant ? If not I suggest you get one. The factory quadrants are usually plastic and are prone to strip. When they strip they take the adjustment out of the cable causing the clutch to stay engaged....that then keeps the car from easily being shifted when running. Seems like you have no shortage of funds....I'd suggest a new Ford cable , an aftermarket aluminum two hook quadrant, and a firewall cable adjuster.

If you still have the old t56 I'll buy it....broke or not. [emoji106]

Thanks for the reply 90sickfox..I actually do have an aftermarket quadrant. I believe it's from steeda, and from what I'm aware of it seems to be good but I'll double check it once I get home. I do have the adjuster and the quadrant is a 2 hook. I have it connected to the hook closest to the pedal. Would it help moving the cable to the other hook? I have adjusted the cable in every possible way but still no luck. I will check out the quadrant but I'm sure it's fine.. and the t56, I'm assuming it is good since I'm still running into the same problem. Planning to build it up for a foxbody .. thank you for the help. I'll make sure I look into it.

The only other thing I could think of is the clutch fork pivot.

How does the pedal feel ? Should be able to feel the clutch release through the pedal...about 1 inch off the floor. The hook closest to the pedal should be good.

One of my cars had an issue with the firewall flexing not allowing the clutch to disengage properly. It was actually flexing right where the grommet goes through the firewall. The edge of the plate should be flat and squared. I used 1/4 inch steel plate....I think 3 x 3 inch....drilled a hole for the adjuster and never had a problem again.

What brand cable are you using ? I've been through a situation where the cable housing was actually being pressed through the black plastic end at the firewall. That's when I started using only Ford or MM cables....all the rest are junk.

I'm looking for a t56 for my turbo fox. If you ever want to sell I'll give you decent money. I know what they're worth. Don't want to spend 3 grand if I don't have to. Lol

Its got to be something simple....it always is. Smh