2003 gt Wheel and tire help

I need some help buying some wheels and tires. I bought my Gt second hand recently and I want to get some new wheels for it. It has 245 45's in the front on 17x9's. the back tires are 275 40's on 17x9 wheels. the tires in the back do not need replacing but the front tires do. the front wheels are also the ones I want to replace. So my question is... can I replace the front wheels and instead of 245s put 275s on the 17x9. Also (sorry this is a lot) can I put a bigger tire than 275 on 17x9 wheels? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The 275's in the front will rub . I would go no more than 255's there. The 275's on a 9 inch wheel is about the limit. Too much sidewall flex if you go wider.
Thanks for the help... Ill probably stay with 245's in the front but I do have another question. The rear wheels are 17x9 like I said but the wheels are tucked way under the wells. If I go with a wider wheel, say 10.5 would that extend the wheels farther out toward the outside of the car? or would I need to get some positive offset wheels?

Thanks for the help... Ill probably stay with 245's in the front but I do have another question. The rear wheels are 17x9 like I said but the wheels are tucked way under the wells. If I go with a wider wheel, say 10.5 would that extend the wheels farther out toward the outside of the car? or would I need to get some positive offset wheels?
I have 10.5's on mine, same offset as stock. It had 315's at one time but 295's now. also had 1/2 inch spacers that I removed. The only thing with that is you need to roll the fenders to keep them from rubbing. I found two photos of my car from behind. Maybe goves you an idea of how far out the tires will set.
DSC_0285_047.jpg
DSC_0309_058_zps21e67449.jpg

Last edited:
With a mild 1” drop from ford c springs (with isolators) I don’t have any rub in the front with 275/40/17s.

Any further drop and I definitely could see how you could get some rub.

Reactions: 1 user
275/40x17 is the optimal size for a 17x9 wheel. I was on Elbach springs with virtually no rubbing on the front. I just swapped to Vogland and it rubs a bit more, but as long as you don't hold the wheel at full lock it's no big deal.
0623191559a_HDR.jpg