2003 Mustang GT Clutch replacement, I need help!

Stormer

Jan 8, 2008
Lakeland Florida
I bought a 2003 Mustang GT back in the spring of this year, It has just turned over 60,000 miles and my release "throw-out" bearing has gone bad. Before taking on the project I got a couple of quotes on how much it would be to have a mechanic do the repair and I got somewhere around a grand for a quote. Then I started doing my research and found that I could get a good clutch kit with the bearing and everything for about $350, I'm 19 and $350 sounded a lot better than a grand so I ordered a Spec Stage 3 Clutch kit. Next I bought a Hayes manual so I'd have an idea what I was getting into and started the disassembly process;

Took the knob etc. off the shifter, disconnected the battery, disengaged the clutch cable, undid the wiring harness, took the drive shaft off, supported the engine under the oil pan with a jack, took the transmission (cross member) support loose, place a jack under the tranny, took the 5 bolts holding the bell housing to the engine (3 on one side 2 on the other (or at least that's how many bolts the manual said I have) then it says I should be able to slide it out with the jack but it doesn't want to come out and feels like there are still bolts or something holding it. I did some probing around and it looks like there is some kind of bracket above the bell-housing with 2 bolts in it that may be holding it on but try as I may I can't figure a way to get at the bolts. I also unbolted the starter thinking maybe that was holding it together but it still will not slide out.

I don't know exactly what to do next, and I keep wondering if I have to take those 2 bolts lose, and why the Haynes manual did not give me any instructions to that effect!

Sorry for the long detailed message but I've been all over the net trying to find some answers and maybe even some pics of how-to or what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for any help you can send my way! I value your help! Maybe if I can every get the tranny dropped I can put my clutch kit in...

-Daniel

• Sponsors (?)

first off you can do a search i sure there a write ups on this kinda thing. also get a inspection mirror and take a look up there im pretty sure that there is at least one bolt that need to be removed and you have to tilt the trans down to get to it.

put a jack on the tail of the tranny and push it up as much as you can.. then get the correct size wrench (ratchet wrench if you got em) and take the 2 off from the engine compartment... ive done this quite a few times... its either this or you group together all your extentions (or have a long ass one) and you will be able to hit em with your ratchet all the way by the tail of the tranny...

BTW your going to hate that clutch

Umm, ok I'll try and get at those two bolts that way I guess I'll have to come up with more extensions because all of mine together aren't quite long enough to get to the tail of the tranny.

Why am I going to hate that clutch??

they are known to chatter, its more of a light switch then a clutch.. .. when i had one you would try and roll nice and easy off of a stoplight and it would engauge and take off.. there wasnt any feathering with it. on or off lol...

you didint post your mods but a stage 3 is for real high HP cars....

i'm not trying to be an ass or nothin, give it a shot

and welcome to stangnet!!

I bought a 2003 Mustang GT back in the spring of this year, It has just turned over 60,000 miles and my release "throw-out" bearing has gone bad. Before taking on the project I got a couple of quotes on how much it would be to have a mechanic do the repair and I got somewhere around a grand for a quote. Then I started doing my research and found that I could get a good clutch kit with the bearing and everything for about $350, I'm 19 and $350 sounded a lot better than a grand so I ordered a Spec Stage 3 Clutch kit. Next I bought a Hayes manual so I'd have an idea what I was getting into and started the disassembly process;

Took the knob etc. off the shifter, disconnected the battery, disengaged the clutch cable, undid the wiring harness, took the drive shaft off, supported the engine under the oil pan with a jack, took the transmission (cross member) support loose, place a jack under the tranny, took the 5 bolts holding the bell housing to the engine (3 on one side 2 on the other (or at least that's how many bolts the manual said I have) then it says I should be able to slide it out with the jack but it doesn't want to come out and feels like there are still bolts or something holding it. I did some probing around and it looks like there is some kind of bracket above the bell-housing with 2 bolts in it that may be holding it on but try as I may I can't figure a way to get at the bolts. I also unbolted the starter thinking maybe that was holding it together but it still will not slide out.

I don't know exactly what to do next, and I keep wondering if I have to take those 2 bolts lose, and why the Haynes manual did not give me any instructions to that effect!

Sorry for the long detailed message but I've been all over the net trying to find some answers and maybe even some pics of how-to or what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for any help you can send my way! I value your help! Maybe if I can every get the tranny dropped I can put my clutch kit in...

-Daniel

Did you get the two bolts on the top of the bellhousing? You usually have to lower the tail of the tranny, then use a couple of long extensions with a universal joint to reach them. They should be done before the others so that you don't have to worry about the transmission sliding off the jack when it is tilted backward...

They are not that hard to put back in. Use a couple of long extensions, plus the u-joint on the socket, then put a piece of paper towel on the bolt and stuff it into the socket. The towel will hold the bolt firmly so you can snake it up to the top two holes. Again, those should be the first ones removed, and the last ones put back in...

No problem man I didn't take it like that at all, I was just wondering if you knew something about it I didn't. I know about it being grabby and what-not and that it has a long break-in period. But no I'm thankful for your help.

I didn't post my mods because I have had to delay most of my mod plans to do this work. Right now the only mods I have installed is my flowmaster exhaust system and my K&N. I ordered a CAI but have to have the computer tuned before I can run with it. I want the heavy clutch because I plan to install a power adder in the near future, such as nitrous, super, or turbo charger... but I have not made a decision as to which one yet. And I do some racing with my car club so I figure it would take the abuse a little better and save me having to turn around soon and rip another stock one out and beef it up again.

Also it looks like I may be moving out soon (I find this out after placing that order) so I'll have to see how my finances turn out before I do any major tuning. You have to love life some days! lol

-Daniel

The Haynes left out the two top bolts. I went though that also. What about the starter? You have to remove 3 bolts, the top one being a PITA. Running extensions from the front of the engine through the mounts is the easiest way while having a buddy guide the socket unto the bolt. No one ever replaces that starter top bolt when reassembling.

FYI,

I had a Spec Stage II put in my 02 GT and I love it. However, not sure if the stage III comes with the plastic TOB, if it does use a different one that is metal. Otherwise you will be doing this all over again in short time.

~K

Hey,

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded and gave me help you made my repair a success! I love my new clutch, it feel and responds great and believe it or not the pedal effort is considerably less! I got it all back together yesterday and am on the road again! :nice:

I also wanted to mention when it came time to line up the tranny back up we took a scissor jack and a piece of 2X8 and jacked up slightly on the front motor mount, that tilted the engine back enough that the tranny was almost lined up sitting on the jack!

-Daniel