Progress Thread 2003 mustang gt Rebuild

Hey mustang owners, pretty new to this community. Recently got a 2003 gt manual and it’s a pretty decent car I have been plans for it from a engine swap all the way to the suspension but that takes time and money so one step at a time.
i got the car when it had a spun bearing and 2 bent rods andI got the long block rebuilt and ran into a few snags on the way.
I never built an engine before. Shoot, my first time pulling an engine was a few weeks ago and I was up until the ass crack of dawn getting it out (engine and trans combo out the top) and But so far:

1. the oil feeder tube doesn’t fit the stock oil pump I have but I found out why it didn’t and I just ordered a high flow oil pump and will install that once it gets here.

2. is there some sort of checklist I should hold myself to when assembling the engine so I can avoid rookie mistakes? Books? Videos?

3. The lower portion of the radiator support is slightly bent. It’s something I can knock out with a hammer but I’m not sure if that would be the best idea. It didn’t crack the condenser but the radiator has to be replaced which is kinda weird.

those are the major things I have to do right now. It so much I still have to learn at the same time I’ve learned so much while working on the car. Any help would be great I’m only 22 years old in the military trying to live out my project car dreams. I will stay active in this threat with updates at well.

Attachments

• 0E68E41F-EA58-4F59-A89A-0C94299B0F3E.jpeg
    0E68E41F-EA58-4F59-A89A-0C94299B0F3E.jpeg
    499.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey mustang owners, pretty new to this community. Recently got a 2003 gt manual and it’s a pretty decent car I have been plans for it from a engine swap all the way to the suspension but that takes time and money so one step at a time.
i got the car when it had a spun bearing and 2 bent rods andI got the long block rebuilt and ran into a few snags on the way.
I never built an engine before. Shoot, my first time pulling an engine was a few weeks ago and I was up until the ass crack of dawn getting it out (engine and trans combo out the top) and But so far:

1. the oil feeder tube doesn’t fit the stock oil pump I have but I found out why it didn’t and I just ordered a high flow oil pump and will install that once it gets here.

2. is there some sort of checklist I should hold myself to when assembling the engine so I can avoid rookie mistakes? Books? Videos?

3. The lower portion of the radiator support is slightly bent. It’s something I can knock out with a hammer but I’m not sure if that would be the best idea. It didn’t crack the condenser but the radiator has to be replaced which is kinda weird.

those are the major things I have to do right now. It so much I still have to learn at the same time I’ve learned so much while working on the car. Any help would be great I’m only 22 years old in the military trying to live out my project car dreams. I will stay active in this threat with updates at well.

Sounds fun. Cleanliness and precision are your friends during this endeavor. I haven't rebuilt a 4.6 modular, but have done some others...keep everything as clean as possible. Take your time.

There are a couple of books I see on the internet which may be of help, such as:

Also, your base should have an auto hobby shop...if you haven't checked it out, do so. There is usually a couple of real wrench turners running it or hanging out. Talk with them for some tips. Also, a good place to work out of the weather...and they generally have lifts and some special tools for lend/rent. I used them all the time when I was TAD, without a garage, or in need of a lift (29yrs Navy).

I'm gonna post another book title that may be good in another post bc this thing will blank if I try to drag something else over.

Oh---and another thought...most public libraries have a reference section with a fairly complete set of industry standard automotive repair pubs...I've often used them to answer specific questions or to get a procedure. Take some cash/coins for the copier as they rarely allow them to be checked out. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also, keep an eye out for sharp modified Mustangs around base...your brothers/sisters in arms would probably be glad to share tips/talk about what they've done and what to watch out for...keep smiling.

Also, keep an eye out for sharp modified Mustangs around base...your brothers/sisters in arms would probably be glad to share tips/talk about what they've done and what to watch out for...keep smiling.
Thanks man that was a lot of help I just got my new radiator in today but I still having a Fitment issue getting the oil pickup tube to fit the oil pump I have. I will post pics of that soon.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s the thing. THEY set me up for failure I already sent the motor off to get a full rebuild that they only charged $2100 which isn’t that bad but they gave it back to me as a long block. They changed the high flow oil pump to an oem oil pump (which wasn’t the one that was in the engine already)with out telling me and the only way I found out was because the oil pickup tube is for a 4v engine and I have a 2v and it won’t fit into the oil pump for some reason. I never really built or work this heavy on a car with out my pops and he’s not with me so I’m well aware that i have a lot to learn. so I’m kinda sol but I’m determined to get this finished because I always wanted my own project car. I’m balls deep in it now so I gotta getter dun!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks man that was a lot of help I just got my new radiator in today but I still having a Fitment issue getting the oil pickup tube to fit the oil pump I have. I will post pics of that soon.
Were you able to straighten the radiator support to keep the radiator from being stressed? If not, you might consider a replacement radiator support.

Ok. I hope you saved all of your receipts. What all was involved in this "rebuild"?
Mainly just a new crank shaft. I actually started an excel dock so I can track how much I’m putting into the car. Short term goal: get the car running and get the engine broken in. Long term goal: coyote swap (or voodoo swap if I win the lottery lol) make it a Friday night street strip car)