2005 GT vs. 2006-2008?

I am looking to buy a new or used mustang very soon and its going to be 2005 to 2008. I have found some good prices on low mileage 2005 gt's, however I am reluctant to buy a 2005 since it was the first year of the new body styling and have always heard you shouldnt buy the first year of a new model line.

What do you think, the prices in my area between a low mileage 2005 and a 2006 or 2007 are around 4 to 5k which is a big difference. Is it worth it or will I face troubles with a 2005 down the road?

• Sponsors (?)

... other than sparkplugs :O
Older and higher milage = greater the risk..

There is a page in either the 05+ or the 05 + gt section about the 3v spark plug changing. its quite a big forum, can't miss it..

That will explain the problem, and if you buy an older stang, or high-milage, try to get it in the deal that the dealer changes the spark plugs.. then, each year (or two) change them yourself.. That would save alot of heart-throbbing and trouble.

FWIW, my '05 S197 had the following problems:
Water leakage in trunk and in passenger's footwell, dead battery after 2 years, stuck parking brake cable, defective fuel pump, noisy tranny bell housing dust cover, and skipping CD unit.
Ford has issued a TSB(technical service bulletin) for each of these problems(plus others), so they're not unique to only my car. The parking brake problem was supposedly fixed on later models. I'm not sure about the others.
Suggest that you do a search of the Mustang forums for more info on this subject before deciding which model year is the better deal.

Some don't like buying 1st model year cars just in case something major is discovered that first year. Aside from a few minor issues mentioned above nothing big went down for the 05. Just watch out for the dreaded spark plug change which is a problem for the 06's and up too.

My car's got 15,000 miles plus now and I'm still in debate over whether I should attempt the change or just take it to the dealership and let them take the risk in case it turns into the sparkplug change from hell.

My car's got 15,000 miles plus now and I'm still in debate over whether I should attempt the change or just take it to the dealership and let them take the risk in case it turns into the sparkplug change from hell.

Not to Hijack I just finished mine with around 17k.. no major issues!
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=745375

For the OP...

Just make sure all the 05's have all their TSB's fixed, like the water leak into the Smart Junction Box.. I think that might be the only "Major" issue and its not really that major..

Either way you go.. It will be good and you will have fun!

I purchased a used 05, she was even a Katrina victim. And I have zero issues. She has 41,500 miles on her and going strong!

Pro's to 05:
1. 3:55's on all manuals.
2. NoTPS Bands.
3. They are just better! J/K.

Pro's to 06+
1. Less miles.
2. Might still have warranty.
3. Newer features. (i.e. HID's, Ambient lighting, heated seats.)

That is just my two cents.

Just make sure all the 05's have all their TSB's fixed, like the water leak into the Smart Junction Box.. I think that might be the only "Major" issue and its not really that major..
The defective fuel pump is a major issue when merging into high speed traffic, especially if a semi is breathing down your neck.

FWIW, my '05 S197 had the following problems:
Water leakage in trunk and in passenger's footwell, dead battery after 2 years, stuck parking brake cable, defective fuel pump, noisy tranny bell housing dust cover, and skipping CD unit.
Ford has issued a TSB(technical service bulletin) for each of these problems(plus others), so they're not unique to only my car. The parking brake problem was supposedly fixed on later models. I'm not sure about the others.
Suggest that you do a search of the Mustang forums for more info on this subject before deciding which model year is the better deal.

I here ya bro, but my '05 didn't have any of those problems.

My only problem is every once in a while I have trouble filling my gas tank.