2005 sound

CPman

Apr 2, 2005
Has anyone upgraded their 05 sound system. I am looking at replacing all the speakers first, but am wundering what to do about the door mounted speakers. Does anyone make replacment speakers, the stock units look like a 8" woofer down low and a mid and tweeter in a seperate inclosure mounted to the door up higher. I have heard that the woofer inclosure in the door has limited space for the magnet and I would like to know if anyone has had success in mounting an aftermarket speaker in this spot, size, brand, etc.

Thanks guys and gals.
CPman.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing from the description that you're replacing the Shaker 500: good call. Speakers first for the most bang for the buck... actually there's a lot more room in the door panels than you'd think. You can easily replace the upper components with 5 x 8's or 6 x 9's with minor, if any, mods. Although the subs are pretty wimpy as built, there is room for upgrades. I replaced mine with 6 1/2" mid-woofers with plenty of space for the magnets (I tore the grills off of the stock speakers and mounted the smaller aftermarket ones behind to the grills so that I could mount to the same spot and still use the factory covers for looks). To the left inside the panel was a nice pocket to place my crossovers, packed in bubble-wrap instead of mounting them. Rear deck speaker replacement is only slightly difficult because there's little room to work; the grills pop off easily enough, but the rear screws holding each speaker are a real pain in the neck! You'll need a snake or ratchet screwdriver to get them out, but then again, either 5 x 8's or 6 x 9's fit right in. Keep in mind that the stock speakers are very light and require very little power (which is all the stock amps produce) to play loud. You can't get that volume with decent quality aftermarket speakers without over-driving the stock amps, so look to replace them next. IMO Good luck!

Thanks for the info, A new head unit and amps are not far behind. I thought I would start with with the speakers as I can install them myself.I thinking of going with a Kenwood or Eclipse double din nav unit with about a 500watt amp for the main speakers and then perhaps adding a 500watt sub at a later time. I have already installed Dyna-mat extensively throughout the car. It really makes a huge differance to the ride characteristics of the vehicle. I am having a hard time choosing a speaker manufacturer however. I'm thinking JL, Alpine,Hertz, Rockford or Infinity. Any suggestions. I want to do this right the first time. I can use all the advise I can get.

CPman